exlandieman

Hi all,

I have just aquired a 1942 WDCO and would like to pick peoples brains regarding the history of the machine.

It is registered and i also have certs from the Vintage motorcycle club regarding the year, but I am more intereted in the military history.

Frame No 12828H Stamped on front tube ( although one of the certs i have used the No 3817 which is on the web between the front tube and top tube )

Engine 12828H also C/1386 and a Mil arrow with an M below and 244 below that

Gearbox HHJ with 735 below

any info would be most appreciated

Chris

Hi Chris, I'm also in Dorset. The number on your crankcase is the the contract number that your bike was built under. If you read it again with a spy glass, it should read C/13869. Which was a contract demanded in 1942. The other number M over 244 is the inspectors stamp. I'm not sure what the H is at the end of your number, but I'll alert Jan to your post and no doubt he will come back with information. It's very unlikely that you will find out any of it's military use history. We'd all like to know that. Regards Ron

Hi Ron

Thanks for that, i will look again...i think you may be the person Jerry B mentioned when i told him i was getting one. I was involved with the Purbeck Rally until this year but have had to give it up due to Family health and other commitments.

I would be very interested in having a look at your CO sometime to get some idea about bits of mine which are patently wrong.

Chris

Ah Chris number two just popped up! Long time no hear again. Are you still in the forces?

Dorset Chris. Yes I know Jerry....The compressor guy. You are welcome to visit. Lots to look at. I'm quite near Branksome station.

Ring me 07771 602236. Jan Vandevelde from Belgium has done an extremely extensive study of WD Enfields and I've sent him an email, so we wait for his response.

Regards Ron

Hi Jan

I have sent you an email with all the info I have also pics of all the numbers which were too large to post on here.

Ron...thanks for that , i will give you a bell in the near future....yes thats the Jerry!

I will post some photos on here when i have reduced their size.

These 2 photos are what i was sent by the previous owner.

Chris

Chrisphoto.JPG

photo1.JPG

hi Jan

I think the email with attachments was too large, so i have sent one without the pics attached and emailed the pics seperately.

Chris

Sorry Chris, your emails didn't come through... Try sending an email without any attachments...

Jan

Hi Jan

I think i know what prob is....i seem to remeber that gmail has refused to allow my email through before, this is due to my host being strato.....i will re-send when i get in tonight using my aol.

But apart from pics of frame/engine showing the numbers there is no more info than what i have put in a previous post.

Chris

Edited by exlandieman

Well after sorting the emails and a bit of to-ing and fro-ing over the correct numbers.....Jan has now confirmed that my bike left the factory 1/12/42 and still has the original frame/engine and gearbox. Good news, but will need to get the log book changed as the numbers on it aren't the correct ones.

Chris

Sorry Chris but that wont work. You can change an engine number in your registration document with DVLA. But not a frame number. It will mean going through the registration process of a barn find which will then give you a new age related reg number. Which is a bit of a palaver!! Have you queried it with the previous owner?

The only other alternative is to stamp your frame somewhere with the number in your log book........Just for registration purposes. Leave your original number on the headstock for historical purposes.

Since your bike is now MOT exempt, it wont receive too much scrutiny , unless you are involved in something serious.

Ron

Edited by Ron

I concur with Ron......many vehicles have an engine change after registration, which isn't too much of an issue........but a frame-change is......its similar to swapping over the chassis of a car, something the DVLA are not keen to see.....

I had a G3L many years ago now that had been accident-damaged, the front-frame having actually sheared right through the front downtube......I replaced this with a new-old-stock, unstamped frame that I managed to acquire and (I think) had the original number transferred to this.....

Likewise with my M20 front frame that I got off you Steve. My bike was completely the same bike, apart from this one bit of tube. I told DVLA the the front tube was damaged and I had to replace it, but they would not wear it. I had to go through the process of re-registering it. Ron

Edited by Ron

In that case i will leave well alone, the last number of the chassis and duplicated on engine has been read as an 8, but after a lot of scrutiny it turns out to be a poorly stamped 6, which then ties in with the g/box number. But unless you knew you would read it as an 8 so i will ignore it. Thanks for the advice chaps.

Now to sort out why when i fit a valve lifter, which some helpful previous owner had removed >:(, it lifts the push rod to the extent that the ex valve is permanantly partially open. Hitchcocks are being extremely helpful and after measurements of pushrods, barrels etc, we think it may be a bullet rocker fitted which they are going to confirm when i send it to them for comparison ( their idea !)

Chris

Yep always pretty helpful at Hitchcocks and extremely fast with deliveries. My Co shed a rear wheel bearing in France on the big 65 for 65 tour. They fedex'd a bearing to me within about 12 hours of my call. Cost me about a fiver for the bearing and £65 for Fedex!!!

But it saved my holiday. Ron

well it looks like i may be using them quite often to put right a lot of things....hey ho...the joys of previous owners. I keep telling myself thats the fun of it, but i'm taking some convincing at the mo....:nut:

Never had a "smooth" restoration.........trials and tribulations are all part of the "fun"....:D But the stress is worth it in the end when you get that pile of historic crap rebuilt into a working motorcycle..........can't beat it...!!! Whenever I'm riding our bikes, I'm always conscious of the history, but never forget the effort involved in getting the bike back to a usable and rideable condition.............there are times when you just want to give up......and I was always told that on those occasions....just "walk away", shut the garage door, and return later with a re-focussed mind.......works every time.....:-)

And I must add that my good, and long-standing mate Ron, is an expert restorer, hugely knowledgeable and full of solid, proven advice......and freely gives all........here's to you Ron !!!

Edited by wdbikemad