So what do we all do for a living then

Rover8FFR

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished school in 2007 and went straight into engineering. I am in a company called Seetru Ltd based in Bristol working in our design & development facilities. I do both 2D/3D drawings as well as manual turning and milling in our machine shop.

Our machine shop comes in handy when restoring vehicals. :D Iv made bits for my halftrack and also do some tuning work for other people too.

Handy to know ;)

Dear forum

When I started this thread I did assume I might get a few replies I have been amazed by everyones contributions and intrigued by some employment stats.

We are an interesting lot. Joined by a common interest.

Thank you for replying and reading.

Please continue.

Best wishes.

I manage the payroll for a large Government department (including a handful of the criminals who sit in Parliament). Previous jobs include milkman, security, printer, crematorium technician and by far the best... doorman in sleazy nightclub in Hong Kong! :D

What have I done?

A lot;

Supermarket restocking, fruitpicker, few weeks in the service, warehouse picker, supermarket employee, library worker, barman in sports canteen, townhall, archive, repairman at outdoorschool, orderpicker, forklift driver, handyman, stonesaw machine assembler, reception at a school, janitor in a office, handyman/guide in a visitorscentre.

Think that about covers it i think.

After completing a masters degree at Birmingham university I worked for Jaguar, crash testing x400s before moving up to Lincoln. Now I design and commission Gas Turbine control systems, predominantly for the Oil & Gas industry. I have just moved back into the field after a three year break while my daughter was born, should be back in Qatar by May for a retrofit job then wherever I am required, usually the back end of nowhere! On a rotor, I man the Gas Turbine customer Helpdesk which is really interesting, at least while you are on it you know where you are going to be for a month! Anyone on LinkedIn?

I am.... http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=22877504&trk=hb_tab_pro_top

For almost my entire adult life I have worked for Uncle Sam. First as a Huey mechanic, which was fun for a while, then and for the last 24 years I have been working for these guys http://www.nps.gov/index.htm. I started off at almost the bottom of the ladder and have worked my way up to being the superintendent of a few different parks. I absolutely love it as it has taken me around the country and back again. I get to meet people from around the world and work in places people take vacations in. I truly can't think of a better job for me.

Steve

For almost my entire adult life I have worked for Uncle Sam. First as a Huey mechanic, which was fun for a while, then and for the last 24 years I have been working for these guys http://www.nps.gov/index.htm. I started off at almost the bottom of the ladder and have worked my way up to being the superintendent of a few different parks. I absolutely love it as it has taken me around the country and back again. I get to meet people from around the world and work in places people take vacations in. I truly can't think of a better job for me.

Steve

Spent 3 months touring the Rockies in an RV last year, visited loads of National Parks - without exception, the Rangers and volunteers were really friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. We really fancied working there too!

John

Steve

That's a phenominal job, I thought I had a good view out of my office window.

I'm going to see an exhibition of Ansell Adams' photographs next weekend.

That's a phenominal job, I thought I had a good view out of my office window.

I'm going to see an exhibition of Ansell Adams' photographs next weekend.

I have been lucky to work in a few parks where Mr Adams took photos. In fact I work with one person now whose mom was photographed by Ansel in the early 1940's. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/4309795734_40af277513.jpg

He is quite proud of the photo and took him mom out there when she was quite old and photographed her in the same place. He has both photos side by side so all can see.

Steve

Have qualifications in agriculture and engineering. Worked in South East Asia – great fun and great food; worked in city towers where you’re just an ant, depressing; worked in publishing – great fun, also worked from home from time to time. Never been short of things to do! My profession became my hobby – farming in south western Victoria; and restoring trucks from the dawn of truck-time… when we get the odd moment to ourselves. Robert

Steve

I have always believed life's what you make it. Consequently there aren't many jobs that make me jealous - yours just did! :D

Timbo

I design sonar systems. That usually gets the response "Oh" , then the subject quickly changes to football or the weather. Can't understand why, I find sonar fascinating. I've spent most of my career design electronic equipment for all the British Armed Forces (and a few others) and it's given me great insight to their practices, common and different.

I'd like a 500 ton wooden floating MV (if you know what I mean? Napier DELTICs and two-stroke Fodens?) but my piggy bank won't stretch that far and I don't have enough pals to crew one. Anyway I have all you cyber-pals, don't I?

Awesome job.

I spent 20+ years exploring ww1 + ww2 ship and submarine wrecks and sonar would have made it much easier.

I have an internet business selling products worldwide.