So what do we all do for a living then

Rover8FFR

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Project Implementation Manager ( Vehicle Telematics and Forward Facing cameras)(big title shame the wage does not follow suit!!) for a large (probably the largest in the world) logistics company

Prior to that driver instructor/trainer/Operations manager/LGV driver for same outfit

Edited by Brooky

trained as a Grand Prix motorcycle mechanic in the 60s, company pulled out so joined HM Forces 9yrs, next trained as a carpenter, sold my company and moved to Spain were the wife and i own two very large resturants and a small Hotel in France and after that i will at some point pop my clogs, its been a great life so far.:nut:

trained as a Grand Prix motorcycle mechanic in the 60s, company pulled out so joined HM Forces 9yrs, next trained as a carpenter, sold my company and moved to Spain were the wife and i own two very large resturants and a small Hotel in France and after that i will at some point pop my clogs, its been a great life so far.:nut:

Now that sounds interesting!

I design sonar systems. That usually gets the response "Oh" , then the subject quickly changes to football or the weather. Can't understand why, I find sonar fascinating. I've spent most of my career design electronic equipment for all the British Armed Forces (and a few others) and it's given me great insight to their practices, common and different.

I'd like a 500 ton wooden floating MV (if you know what I mean? Napier DELTICs and two-stroke Fodens?) but my piggy bank won't stretch that far and I don't have enough pals to crew one. Anyway I have all you cyber-pals, don't I?

Served an apprenticeship as an agricultural machinery engineer, stayed with the firm for 7 years until they closed the depot. Went straight in to a job with REME at a Command Workshops, was there for 22 years working on all kinds of vehicles, plant, equipment, even rifles. When it closed, I set up my own business of repairing and restoring ex-military vehicles which has now been going for 17 years.

So that is 39 years of working for a living on military vehicles, without a break!

I'm a Lead development engineer for diesel fuel injection (FIE) systems for trucks. I was responsible for all of the FIE on the first Paccar engine in the states in 2010 and have also looked after ongoing development work for the DAF Euro 4 & 5 11 & 13 litre engines. Also involved with Volvo Euro 6 systems and other advanced systems.

I must stress though that I am a mechanical engineer not electronic or software. So I don't do anything to do with ECU's!:nut:

Ed

By heck this is a remarkably interesting thread and a welcome change from debates over thread forms and the correct proofing fluid for canvas! Nice one folks....

I totally agree and thought it would be good for everyone to bond better. After all we are normal people with the usual backgrounds. We all have so much to give and share.

We are a community after all.

Please keep answering to my thread. Every reply is 100% interesting.

By heck this is a remarkably interesting thread and a welcome change from debates over thread forms and the correct proofing fluid for canvas! Nice one folks....

couldnt agree with you more!!!!! Its fascinating reading what you all do 'normally'!! :D