Lancaster to fly again ??

diamond-t-steve

I have my Taxi day in her in October, Xmas pressie off the missus.

She bought it for me when we were over in Australia at Xmas and I registered as soon a s I got home in January.

"What date would you like ,sir?"

The nice lady asked on the fone.

"Soon as you can please!" I answered........

"That would be October then, sir!!!"..........

How many wait nearly another year for their Xmas Pressie??? LOL

Good to hear they are busy and that Jane is going to fly again.

Should have booked my day on the maiden flight!!! Damn!!!!! LOL

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its a shame theres no stirlings left really isn`t it.....

they were giants as well....:

Yes it is, I wonder how they would have performed if the RAF hadn't of clipped its wing down . Useless bomb bay design though

The bomb bay was divided to Ministry specifications to carry differing loads available at the time. There were no cookies, block-busters etc in those early times. Shorts always said they could change the bomb bay to a single open area but the Ministry refused (and also refused Shorts original design of a 112ft wingspan). The Stirling was more agile than either the Lanc or Halifax due to its high wing loading and was said to have been able to out turn a JU-88 when being attacked (mainly due to the JU-88 being faster)The Stirling gave invaluable service as a bomber in the early years but then as a supply aircraft dropping vital equipment to resistance groups all over Europe and then going on to being one of the main aircraft for towing gliders on D-Day, Market Garden etc. If only someone had the fore-thought to have kept at least one of every type from back then.

The bomb bay was divided to Ministry specifications to carry differing loads available at the time. There were no cookies, block-busters etc in those early times. Shorts always said they could change the bomb bay to a single open area but the Ministry refused (and also refused Shorts original design of a 112ft wingspan). The Stirling was more agile than either the Lanc or Halifax due to its high wing loading and was said to have been able to out turn a JU-88 when being attacked (mainly due to the JU-88 being faster)The Stirling gave invaluable service as a bomber in the early years but then as a supply aircraft dropping vital equipment to resistance groups all over Europe and then going on to being one of the main aircraft for towing gliders on D-Day, Market Garden etc. If only someone had the fore-thought to have kept at least one of every type from back then.

yes....the central division of the stirling`s bomb bay limited it to 2000LB ordnance...

if you look at the angle of attack of the wings....this severe angle was needed to get the thing off the ground...

thats what the high undercarrage was all about as well...

the stirling in many ways was the `nearly` aircraft....the RAF learned a lot of invaluable experience with it in how to handle large numbers of heavys....

there were some crews though who swore by it.....

to summerise...

yes, it did have some limitations....mostly imposed by short sightedness within the air ministry....

but it served in drop roles such as market garden and for dropping SOE operatives where its under turret mounting proved useful for bailing out of.....

My father flew Stirling Mk V's with 242 Sqdn transporting supplies from Britain over North Africa to India in 1945. On one trip he teamed up with S/L E.K.(?) Creswell who was an ex pathfinder. I'm not sure how to confirm this. Does anyone have a subscription to one of those very expensive records search services?

When do you suppose the last Stirling was scrapped?

My father flew Stirling Mk V's with 242 Sqdn transporting supplies from Britain over North Africa to India in 1945. On one trip he teamed up with S/L E.K.(?) Creswell who was an ex pathfinder. I'm not sure how to confirm this. Does anyone have a subscription to one of those very expensive records search services?

When do you suppose the last Stirling was scrapped?

Best thing to do is contact the sqn association and see if they can help:

http://www.the-battle-of-britain.co.uk/squadrons/242sqn.htm

A friend of mine served on 161 sqn flying Stirlings all over Europe on S.O.E drops out of Tempsford.

He was the rear gunner and since his passing a few years back, I managed to get in touch with his Flight Engineer.

It's nice to hear stories that I listened to in my youth from another member of the crew.

I know of two Stirlings that were cut up in 1946 but not sure when the last one went.

You will love it. I was lucky enough to have had a flight in the BBMF lanc back in 1976 when on a weeks camp at conningsby with the ATC. Sat in rear turret and flew along the coast over Yarmouth ! I will never forget it.

Lucky chap.

Spent today at East Kirkby, as they had a special event on with being bank holiday weekend. Lots of period reenactors milling around the place really set the scene. Hope they do get the old girl into the air, they've spent a lot of time and money on her lately, so with one more big push.....

SAM_1652.jpg

For starters, one of the old tower, complete with period looking characters.

SAM_1664.jpg

Being turned around ready for the next taxy run.

SAM_1673.jpg

Sat in the summer sunshine drawing admirers.

SAM_1724.jpg

Being turned again. She made three taxy runs today.

SAM_1772.jpg

Rumbling along the grass strip, a bit more throttle and up she goes..... one day......

One of the things to do before you die is to take a taxi ride in Just Jane I was lucky enough to take a ride in her a couple of years ago and it was truly memorable, the whole day you are looked after and you are given a little insight into what it may have been like all those years ago, when in the aircraft with those four merlins on song I closed my eyes and just listened and smelt that aircraft smell, it was so good I paid for my father to enjoy a taxi run the year after and spent another great day filming him and the aircraft :D

Just imagine two Lancs in the air in formation :-D

RR.

• 2 weeks later...

Sad to hear the news that one of the Panton brothers Fred has passed away aged 82. The brothers are owners of Lancaster NX611 and the Lincolnshire Aviation Museum at East Kirkby. A true gentleman, always a pleasure to chat to, RIP Fred.

Sad to hear the news that one of the Panton brothers Fred has passed away aged 82. The brothers are owners of Lancaster NX611 and the Lincolnshire Aviation Museum at East Kirkby. A true gentleman, always a pleasure to chat to, RIP Fred.

Oh I wished he could have seen Jane take to the skies

Very sad indeed.

RIP Fred.

Condolences to all the family.