Lancaster to fly again ??

diamond-t-steve

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just imagine both UK Lancs flying together flanked by a Hurricane and a few Spitfires.

Goosebumps already...

That would be nice, even better one either side of the Vulcan.

However I doubt it will happen as BBMF do not seem to fly alongside "civilian" planes.

However I will settle for another flying Lancaster.

Just to whet your appetite here is a formation of 3 Lancs overflying a Hurricanes, 10 Spitfires and 1 Seafire

Mike

PS. Yes I know I faked it

lancs.jpg

I really hope she does take to the sky again.............

...........just out of interest...

I watched the old classic 'Dambusters' on TV t'other day and a thought occurred to me......

I know the film was made way back in 1955 only 10 years after the war had ended so.... I guess there were a lot of surplus Lancaster's still lying about....but....

......it's pretty obvious from the film (very much 'pre CGI' days of course)..that they had quite a few to use in filming ....does anyone know how many they actually had for the filming ??..

..and even more poignantly.......... what was their fate in the years afterwards???

I really hope she does take to the sky again.............

...........just out of interest...

I watched the old classic 'Dambusters' on TV t'other day and a thought occurred to me......

I know the film was made way back in 1955 only 10 years after the war had ended so.... I guess there were a lot of surplus Lancaster's still lying about....but....

......it's pretty obvious from the film (very much 'pre CGI' days of course)..that they had quite a few to use in filming ....does anyone know how many they actually had for the filming ??..

..and even more poignantly.......... what was their fate in the years afterwards???

Wikipedia says four of the last production B.VIIs taken from storage by the RAF and several Lincolns used for static shots.

Andy

A few questions;

Would in fly out from East Kirkby ?

Can it fly back ?

If not the Panton's have lost their main exhibit.

On another forum it's been stated there is a good length of concrete runway still available to use so should work out ok for it being based at home.

A few questions;

Would in fly out from East Kirkby ?

Can it fly back ?

If not the Panton's have lost their main exhibit.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

On another forum it's been stated there is a good length of concrete runway still available to use so should work out ok for it being based at home.

Having taken a look on Google Maps, there does seem to be some of the old runway left however how the Lanc would get there and use it is another question! Just the small stumbling blocks of a couple of fields, a road and embankments to cross according to the maps.

However I'm with everyone else and think it would be a great sight to see.

I bet Peter Jackson is funding or part-funding the restoration, aiming to get another flying Lanc for his forthcoming film.

On the Flypast forum, someone involved with "Just Jane" said there's no connection between the Dambusters film and the return of "Just Jane" to flight. This project isn't actually new news, even though it just made tv in the last couple of days. Maurice Hammond has been rebuilding four Merlins to airworthy condition for some time. The first airworthy Merlin was delivered in 2009!!

See http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk for more info.

A return to airworthiness could also mean an end to taxi rides, as it would be burning up engine hours on airworthy engines. Unless the income from this is enough to pay for future engine restoration, ground running and taxiing could be limited, unless they plan to swap to non-airworthy engines over the non-flying season.

I liked the photo of the three Lancs.

Which reminds me if we get two Lancs in the air then invite the Canadians over with theirs and get a Lancaster vic formation in the air over The Mall and Buckingham Palace to drop a ton of poppies on 8th May 2015.

Oh and get the three Lancs booked in for the Victory Show and give the Vulcan boys a rest!:D

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Having taken a look on Google Maps, there does seem to be some of the old runway left however how the Lanc would get there and use it is another question! Just the small stumbling blocks of a couple of fields, a road and embankments to cross according to the maps.

However I'm with everyone else and think it would be a great sight to see.

very good question .....looking at the Google map there certainly doesn't seem to be enough concrete left ....so... .the question is .when she does her 'tail up taxi runs' which bit of the old airfield is used??? there doesn't seem to be enough anywhere in the vicinity but.....she manages it somehow....so ?????

very good question .....looking at the Google map there certainly doesn't seem to be enough concrete left ....so... .the question is .when she does her 'tail up taxi runs' which bit of the old airfield is used??? there doesn't seem to be enough anywhere in the vicinity but.....she manages it somehow....so ?????

Here is your answer to what they do at the moment:

I'm sure some on here have spoken about taking the trip, so they may be able to answer more thoroughly.

A return to airworthiness could also mean an end to taxi rides, as it would be burning up engine hours on airworthy engines. Unless the income from this is enough to pay for future engine restoration, ground running and taxiing could be limited, unless they plan to swap to non-airworthy engines over the non-flying season.

Whilst that would be a shame, She deserves to be in the air!