And for my next stupid question... Tyres!

Savarus

Question

Hi all, Sorry it's been a while since I put my head round the door! Life has taken over recently, as it has a habit of doing from time to time.

Anyway, I came to take the truck for a spin the other day and noticed I had a slightly low front nearside tyre.

The truck is a Leyland Daf 45.150 T244. It has 3-piece split-rim hubs.

My main question, though I'm inclined to err on the side of caution is...

Is it necessary to use a tyre restraint device to simply top up a tyre of this size or is such a device only needed if the tyre has just been re-fitted to the hub?

My other question, which I'm also researching in every way I can is...

What is the purpose of the two "handshake" (open palm) valves (outlets) under the front bumpers? I'm labouring under the impression that one has to do with the brakes and the other is something to do with the clutch.

Unfortunately, my experience with truck air systems is limited to civilian vehicles. Would very much appreciate it if someone could explain to me how, when & why these valves would be used in practice.

Many thanks.

Stuart

3 answers to this question

for normal tyre inflation you should be OK to inflate without using a cage or similar devise, but a visual check to make sure everthing is seated is allways a good thing. The palm couplings are Red for Emergency and yellow for service brakes .

Thanks muchly!

First time having to inflate a truck tyre... having seen the kind of damage they can do I'll probably still be a bit tentative this time round!

So the palm valves are for towing the truck as if it were a trailer, eh. Doubt I'll ever find the need but good to know.

The red and yellow palm couplings under the front bumper are for accepting air to release the brakes when being recovered by a service recovery vehicle. The ones on the rear are for trailers. The front palm couplings will only recieve air.

If you're worried about inflating the tyre park it against a wall prior to inflating or if this isn't possible put a ratchet strap around it just in case the split rim comes away but I think you'll be ok.

Edited by recymech66