BOC Gasses

Hair Bear

I use Air Products as well they have depots all over the country so you can collect them to reduce the charges.

The cylinder rental is only £0.80/week/ cylinder, but there is a transaction charge every time you collect a new cylinder so better to change them at all at once.

• 2 weeks later...

I use BOC for my Argoshield and have a yearly rental for the bottle for many many years. recently went over to CO2 and the now empty argoshield bottle sat in the garage empty, decided to cancel the BOC account, took the bottle back and the guy behind the counter said he could take it back and keep the account open and BOC would credit any remaining months on the yearly rental.

So my thought now is could I if I needed to use my still open account and get a bottle use it and then when empty return it and get the remaining months back rather than have it just sitting around in the garage ??

I use BOC for my Argoshield and have a yearly rental for the bottle for many many years. recently went over to CO2 and the now empty argoshield bottle sat in the garage empty, decided to cancel the BOC account, took the bottle back and the guy behind the counter said he could take it back and keep the account open and BOC would credit any remaining months on the yearly rental.

So my thought now is could I if I needed to use my still open account and get a bottle use it and then when empty return it and get the remaining months back rather than have it just sitting around in the garage ??

Yep

I do this all the time - sometimes I use a giant bottle, other times a half sized on. They are pretty good at keeping up and other that an admin charge you pay for what you have.

By the way I get my oxygen and acetylene from Energas, but my Argosheild from BOC - it is well worth shopping around!

• 2 years later...

It's been a while since I looked at this thread which gives an idea of how often I might use gas, and went to checkout Adams Gases.

They don't appear to list acetylene but do have propylene at what appears to be a reasonable price.

So the question is... Would I need new regulators, gauges and torch kit or will my original kit still be suitable and how good is it in comparison?

I use Adams gas for my MIG (5%CO2 - 95% Argon), I had to buy my own regulator, but I'm very happy with the gas. We're looking at whether to switch from BOC to Adams gas at Duxford for all but acetylene.

Heard a rumour that regulators might have to be supplied attached to the bottle soon.

This is worth a quick read, HB:

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/can-i-use-oxy-acet-setup-for-oxy-propane.43942/

Interesting that brazing seems to be possible (welding definitely out). Propane good for heating and cutting - note different cutting nozzles required (little cost to change). Not sure about the huge heating nozzles. For the cost of hose and regulator I would definitely change them, especially if your gear is getting on a bit.

With regards to regulators I was caught out on this when I was a workshop manager and had an audit, BOC regulators are time dated stamped and BOC reccomend replacement/overhaul every 5 years the ones I had were 10 years old and still working fine. see attached link page 21 gives the info under Regulator maintenance.

https://www.boconline.co.uk/internet.lg.lg.gbr/en/images/BOC-operating-safety-instructions410_39396.pdf