Sturmgewehr 44

fesm_ndt

There are a number of PzIV, plus possibly a JagdPanzer IV still dug in, on the Golan Heights. They were under Syrian control, any that were used were made short work of by Israeli Centurions etc.

w01953_4964498.jpg

http://www.dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=1953

DSC00170.JPG

No Panthers ever made their way to the Middle East. That legend's up there with "The Vietnam Panther"

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had heard that It was the Soviet weapons designer Siminov(sp?) who was inspired by the STG44 and copied (parts of) it in his SKS carbine. If you field strip an SKS, you can see a "family" resemblence. Another post-war design that shares a branch on the family tree would be the Spanish Centme rifle which H&K based their G3 (H&K91) on. I guess this would stand to reason as the engineers at Centme were originally German.....

As for the Pz.IVs sitting in repose on the Golan hights, there's one sitting in a museum in Danville,Va. That one was actually captured intact by the IDF. The museum got it in a trade for an M3(?) Stuart tank.

'jus spit ball'n here but there may have been something written into the ceasefire accord that stipulated that no equipment could be recovered from the battlefield-or they may just be a lot of UXOs laying around out there & it is deemed "to dangerous" to allow anyone out there to monkey around with that stuff. Finally, some of those AFVs might also be war graves.

Matt

New pics surfacing from Syria, STG44 and a bolt action that I can determine what it is , it looks like a Mosin Nagant, M91 or M24 but has a turned down bolt handle, might be a modification to work with the scope.

The turned down bolt handle was part of the mods done by the Russians when building the PU-4 sniper version of the M91/30 Mosin Nagant rifle. THe handle on that particular rifle looks like it was locally done as it is comically long. May have been done that way because of the modern optic mounted? The scope on the PU-4 was a rather compact affair.

That rifle, a product of a bygone era with it's long barrel & wood stock seems out of place amonst all of the modern assault weapons in that picture.

I've also seen images of a Female sniper using what looks like a British L1A1 SLR (folding charging handle, pebble grain marnal stocks & a slim long flash hider) with a scope mounted.

Matt