War and Peace Revival *New Location*

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are probably many on here like me who only know W&P in the form it is now. Thinking about how there seems to be such a demand for a 'Up t'North' W&P, could one of the grown-ups give us a quick summary of how it started and how it grew into what it now is, and how long it took?

Might give us all a better understanding of what it has taken to develop it and why it has attained such a great status.

It might also indicate that the potential future northern W&P equivalent event is probably one of those already on the calendar, but still waiting to take off. What would it take to make it not a rival event but an event approaching similar status to the current W&P?

A change is as good as a rest. Go on, give it a go. It will be great i am sure. Mind you i took the Jeep to an MV show once and i was the only one there and i still had a great time (and no i was not there on the wrong day, everyone else had gone out on a road run).

No doubt Rex is aware that the site is smaller, but i am sure he can rent fields from a neigbouring farm.

I am curious about the change of name to "War and Peace revived" though. Maybe they cant use the name W&P as that is owned by the Hop farm.

There are plenty of fields around the racecourse that can be rented short term. Google and a web search show many local properties are for sale. I rather like the castle for sale on the racecourse grounds for just 3 million. Buying that would help sort my shower problems out for my family at the show. The owned land may be less than the hopfarm site, bit much of the hopfarm was not used by w&p. It looks to me like the grounds are the same size.

I am curious about the change of name to "War and Peace revived" though. Maybe they cant use the name W&P as that is owned by the Hop farm.

Filing date:16 November 2006Next renewal date:16 November 2016Registration date:18 May 2007

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/domestic?domesticnum=2438658

Filing date:03 August 2012

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/domestic?domesticnum=2630425

i am looking forward to it, we plan to bring a 101fc ambulance in from the Amsterdam region and the 109 ex raf series3.

for us it's 600 liters of petrol and all the food and beer.

for me it's the chance to have a talk with the girls from the W&P catering and see friends i did not see for a year.

as to bring cheer back in this thread, it's the last show i attend unmarried ;)

There are probably many on here like me who only know W&P in the form it is now.

could one of the grown-ups give us a quick summary of how it started and how it grew into what it now is, and how long it took?

The event originated as the first Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society club show held at the steam railway in Tenterden, Kent in 1982. Over 150 vehicles attended the show. We were originally just local members from Kent, Sussex and Surrey localities. By 1986, the show had outgrown the venue and it moved to the Whitbread Hop Farm in 1987. For this first Beltring show, the area taken up by the display, stalls and arena, only partly filled the present stall area, so this will give you an idea of how it has grown. From the start we had overseas entries from Channel Islands, Norway and Holland, etc.

Well having looked at the route, it will add an extra 96 miles to our annual trip. This is a lot of miles in a GMC coming from South Wales, not to mention the time.

Given the cost of fuel is set to go up after Xmas, will have to start saving now.

Don't see how they can do the show as has been in half the space.

Will wait for more info.

Well having looked at the route, it will add an extra 96 miles to our annual trip. This is a lot of miles in a GMC coming from South Wales, not to mention the time.

Hi

welcome to the forum, please take the time to introduce yourself in the introductions board.

Regards Lee

What I would like to see is W+P getting back to it's roots= A MILITARY VEHCILE SHOW !!

Hopefully, if the IMPS are involved with running the new site they will get it spot on.

And lets hope the toilets get sorted!......................................:D

The proof will be in the pudding.

i am looking forward to it, we plan to bring a 101fc ambulance in from the Amsterdam region and the 109 ex raf series3.

for us it's 600 liters of petrol and all the food and beer.

for me it's the chance to have a talk with the girls from the W&P catering and see friends i did not see for a year.

as to bring cheer back in this thread, it's the last show i attend unmarried ;)

You may come to regret announcing this.... Arriving at the wedding to be met with "oh - where did all your hair go?" or "why is your skin now olive drab?"from the wife to be might not be the best start in life !!! :D:D:D:D

I had a look at the link to the google map and I have TRIED to read as many posts as possible.

But the new site looks TINY! About 25 acres - surely that cannot be right - it only looks about 1/4 of the Hop Farm??? :nut:

Sorry if this has already been covered

I had a look at the link to the google map and I have TRIED to read as many posts as possible.

But the new site looks TINY! About 25 acres - surely that cannot be right - it only looks about 1/4 of the Hop Farm??? :nut:

Sorry if this has already been covered

We cover over 30 acres at our Bunker Bash Show in Essex.. the Original W&P show is held on over 400 acres..

A reminder of post #72

There will be lots to do down there, even a day trip to France I suspect. Just been told the Battle of Britain museum is not far away, nice road run.

I've been to the Battle of Britain museum. A lot there, but it is Not friendly and I will not be returning. No cameras, no mobile phones, no children on their own, and they will not allow entrance if you need to keep a mobile on you. Shop's a bit pricey as well.

Brenzett is much more friendly and worth a visit.

I have no connection with either museum.

I've been to the Battle of Britain museum. A lot there, but it is Not friendly and I will not be returning. No cameras, no mobile phones, no children on their own, and they will not allow entrance if you need to keep a mobile on you. Shop's a bit pricey as well.

Brenzett is much more friendly and worth a visit.

I have no connection with either museum.

Didn't know that, thanks for the info

Someone I know has been to recce the site and he does have some reservations in regard to access for over width low loaders (ie carrying tanks) - however I strongly suspect Rex has something up his sleeve in regard to this. After all there is a hell of a lot of kit that arrives on the back of a low loader, including most of Rex's kit.

As for the size not being equal to the Hop Farms 400 acres -

I would suggest that at least 150 acres of the Hop Farm do not get used for the War and Peace show. Don't forget the Hop Farm has a huge area used exclusively by the Hop Farm.

I don't think Rex would have taken the site on if he was not confident that the show would fit onto the site area.

I'm sure things will be revealed in time but hey, lets support the show because the other alternative to the site moving would have been no show at all - and that would a very sad day for this hobby.

Just a thought - I wonder if The Hop Farm will attempt to stage a military vehicle show in July - I suspect not as without Rex and the organisers I don't think it could happen - but never say never.

Markheliops

Edited by Markheliops