AEC MK3 Millitant

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all got my Milly home now got a couple more questions what colour should the inside of the cab be i can see some of the original yellow undercoat then there's some signs of bronze green and NATO drab green and half cab is painted a light pale green same colour as the inside of military ambulances(i think) also i have the operator's hand book and i seem to have 2 PTO levers in back behind drivers seat (with winch controls) but haven't had chance to trace where cables go but this truck has got the back actor kit still fitted could it be something to do with this ???? :undecided: :help:

If you were to sit in the winchmans seat at back of cab behind drivers seat, the levers i think you are talking about are the one next to the window & on your right hand side is the hand throttle control, and the one on your left is for engaging the winch gear box to the transfer box, think you need your transfer box lever (high/low) to be in neutral position before you can engage winch lever into position, hope this helps!!!

Hi thanks for your reply yep hand throttle on left but I have two pto levers on the right one mounted above the other can't understand why, if the original had got damaged you would thought it would of been replaced not another one fitted below. When I get a minute I will trace where the cables go

Hi thanks for your reply yep hand throttle on left but I have two pto levers on the right one mounted above the other can't understand why, if the original had got damaged you would thought it would of been replaced not another one fitted below. When I get a minute I will trace where the cables go

Hi Carl,I think you will find one is for the winch p.t.o and the other for the crane p.t.o as it sounds like the layout of mine.

Hi yes found crane pto its at the front of cab on side of engine cover looked in opperators manual and it shows winch pto lever mine has that one plus another above it has yours got the back actor (donaldson reactor)fitted ?

HI yep checked today and mine has two hydraulic pumps fitted one for that crane and rear spade and another for the back actor :shocked:

Hi Carl mine does not have the reactor but our other one has ,we have just removed it and the crane assy from the back as we have tried to lose some weight from it as we will be using it as a showmans haulage tractor with a generator mounted on its back.

Mine has already been modified by a previous owner and now has a marine twin lever control box fitted on the floor behind the driver's seat. One lever engages the reactor pump, the other is for the winch pto, both cable operated. The crane pump control is located on top of the engine bonnet, and the hand throttle is below the low air pressure buzzer, although it would originally have been at the rear of the cab behind the driver's seat, where the other winch controls are. The driver's seat back hinges over so you can sit in the seat facing the rear for operating the winch.

Hi thanks all got it sorted now looked underneath and yep to pumps fitted to mine, two other things you may be able to help with first colour for the inside of cab previous owner started to paint it light green but the only colours i can see that its been paint,ed before are yellow under coat from when it was new i think and drab green so not sure what its supposed to be next problem is sometime in the past its had a different clutch slave cylinder fitted and don't think its correct tried adjusting it but still not happy with it its not clearing properly struggling to engage gear from standstill i don't think its a clutch fault because if you use the winch clutch control in back of cab it clears no problem .The new slave has had an adapter made due to the mounting holes being different spacing and the plate is about 1/4 inch and may be wrong slave so does anybody have a spare one they would sell or now a part number for the correct one now where i can get one .

Slave cylinder AEC part No is 710552. NATO No 2530-99-809-4016. Dimensions are 1 1/4" bore, 7 25/32" long. You could perhaps try through the AEC society as it may be this was a part common to other vehicles.

I have the same problem engaging gear, but this gets worse as the thing heats up. When cold it is no problem, but after a long run it takes a lot of crunching to engage gear from rest. Various experts tell me this may be normal, and nothing to worry about! My air/hydraulic unit is kaput, so I never use it, and I'm told it was a troublesome unit and is disconnected on most vehicles. This has been done on mine by removing the operating rod. Obviously yours must still work, which is probably a good thing as the winch overload system activates the clutch withdrawal through this part.

I think the original cab interior was the standard dark green as there are traces of this under my existing paintwork in various places, however I am sure there will be someone out there who remembers them from Army days and could confirm.

Hi thanks for that Iain were in the country are you (probably in the south i suppose seems there's a few Milly's down that way mine was from Hampshire)what colour have you painted yours i have pictures or mine when it was disposed of and was in camo so think that's probably the colour will do it in, not a great lover of bronze green but will probably get shot for saying that on here :D

I'm just south of Glasgow, so almost as far away as you can get from sunny Hampshire! Mine is straight olive drab, no camo. That's how I bought it, although it has been various other colours in the past. The cab interior is cream above the waistline, light grey bonnet, remainder matt black. I will attempt to attach a picture or two.

RH Side.jpg

Front.jpg

Cab pic.jpg

Hi great looking Milly tidy in the cab looks like i'm missing a heater as well, its got a switch but no sign of any holes for pipes to come through in the n/s foot well and mines still got all its riffle and sten gun mounts do you get to many shows with it

I usually drive with the window down to keep cool, so I wouldn't worry too much about your lack of heater!

No gun mounts on mine, and no sign of them ever having been fitted either, however I am more interested in it as a truck than it being a military vehicle, so am not too worried. I take it to a couple of rallies each year, being general vintage vehicle rallies with a military section, both being about 100 miles from home and I hope to go on a commercial vehicle run this year. Perhaps you could post a pic or two of your machine when you get time. Is yours ready to go, or have you some work to do?

will attempt to put some photos on yep could probably show as is but only been painted in green primer just wants a bit of tidying up on the cab but it is pretty well sorted with its kit even still got its oxy/acetalin welding cutting kit

milly_065.jpg here are a couple of it before i got it will add some more later

DSC04354 hampshire milly.jpg

milly_077 (1).jpg