what is this item

simon jameson

Bought some equipment for my Militant Recovery and this item was amongst the gear, doesn't seem to belong to the Milly, does any one know what vehicle it fits and what its for??? The Milly wheel just for scale.

asset.php?fid=61856&uid=3298&d=1353281569

I can see that one!

Deep in my old memory I have seen a picture of one of those being used. Fixed to the front of a stationary vehicle, with the cable running at an angle from the winch vehicle round the offset pulley, and straight to the 'casualty' off the main, central pulley. Used where for some reason, the winching vehicle can't get in the best position for a straight pull.

Don't ask me what vehicles, or when ('50s I should think) that's all I've got.

Someone will be along soon, with the full NATO part No. don't worry :-)

'Chas.'

Yes, called a FAIRLEAD - but I think it is used with the outer lugs pivoting vertically behind the winch (e.g. at rear of vehicle) it allows sideways pulling but rope enters drum in centre :-) Just like a dragline!

Oops not that simple - needs another pair of rollers to be a full fairlead.........

Edited by N.O.S.

Hmmm, NOS's description of use is quite correct I reckon.....must be for fairly light winch loads though, any heavy side winching directly from the back of the vehicle pretty much renders any spade useless & was generally considered bad practice.

As to what it was issued to though I'm stumped.

I trained (such a long time ago) on Bedford Light (RL), AEC Medium (Mili Mk3), Leyland Martian & Cent & I don't recognise it being from any of those. (Deffo not Martian & Cent anyway)

Can't see it being from any vehicle already fitted with a built in pivoting fairlead either. Samson maybe ? (wild stab)

Cosrec might know....or at least be able to cross off a few other possibilities.

H

Was there a smaller armoured tracked vehicle where the winch came through the lower section of the back door. Nagging doubt i have seen photo of one fitted when in winching mode.

That sounds like the FV432, it had a winch kit installed in the rear crew compartment, but after posting I found a photo, but could not see the mounting eyes that this item is secured to.

Could be wrong but from size if pulleys in relation to wheel in background only small diameter rope. So that rules out main larger recovery winch equiped vehicles vehicles. although pin sizes of its atatchment pionts looks like its for some thing heavy

Back to my original thoughts was there an armoured vehicle tracked or wheeled were the back door was in two parts and the winch was inside but had a longish roller mounted under the lip of the door.

Now heres a thought it is maybe a very rare piece of kit for a militant. i think its part of the kit for a Donaldson reactor that fits on on the last set of holes nearest the land anchor. If you find the rest of of it must be worth more than the truck its self

Cosrec is correct and I should have stated this at the begining, the groove/guide in the pully's is not as large/deep as that of the standard fairlead for the Militant winch, so I would say its to take smaller rope than that fitted to the Militant winch, I have never tried to hitch it up to any of the eye mountings on the back of Milly but they do look to be roughly the same distance apart of that of the 'A FRAME' that goes onto those eye mountings, I'l try it and take a photo so you can all see and give commment, its the fact that the pully's are offset from centre of the frame?????

Await the Photo, P.S. If you go to Transport & Wreakers you can see a pic of my Milly Mk3 and a little description of history.

Been up to workshop tonight, 1st photo, unidentified item sitting on spade of Milly It does line up with mounting lugs/holes, so maybe it is for the Milly????. 2nd photo remembered I got some other stuff on the same pallet of the unidentified item. 3rd &4th photo close ups of some items that may go with original unidentified item. 5th photo it sits inside of lugs on the front of the Foden EKA recovery so its not for that. Whats your thoughts????????????

P1000737.jpg

P1000730.jpg

P1000725.jpg

P1000726.jpg

P1000727.jpg