Armistice day 1918

Joris

A long time ago I asked the question how, on armistice day 1918, the battle stopped. Did it, during the morning, slowed down until it stopped at 11:11h? It did not, it was mayhem all the way up to 11:11h.

That question was answered with a picture visualizing the sounds up and right after to the moment of the armistice. I'm looking for that picture, I want to post it on War History Online.

Anybody out there that was around then and still has that picture?

Sorry mate. best I've got. I think it came from a book I have but the book has been lent to someone! :red: Although there are the usual controversies, I belive that the last person killed was a Canadian if I remember at about 10:59 and 45 seconds! Though a number of French casualties had the date changed to the day before. This was only an Armistice! The war did not actually end till 28th June 1919 with the signing of the Treaty of Versaillies.

Edited by Tony B

Looking better! Suprising it has survived, let alone been published as such documents were 'Most Secret'. Sound ranging was the first artillery detection system capable of giving a bearing that alowed counter battery fire on an unseen target. The other system used was flash spotting. Artillery developed into a science during the Great War, before that it was open sights, point and shoot.

http://nigelef.tripod.com/tgtacqcb.htm

I read one book, where a British officer noted that a German machinegun, kept firing right up to the 11am curfew, the crew then stopped, packed up their gun, stood, saluted and marched off.

British artillery loaded & fired a final barrage minutes before 11am and, you won't find any French graves, with the date of death as 11/11/18, despite men being sent to attack on the day, such was the embarassment of politicians, that their deaths were marked on their graves as being 10/11/18.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Lawrence_Price the last Commonwealth soldier to be killed on the day.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7696021.stm

Those wounded prior to the Armistice, did of course, continue to die, one could also argue, that those killed by the tons of unexploded ordinance, still harvested from fields in France & Belgium, are casualties of the war too.

The last soldier killed in WW1, from the British Empire Armies, was a Canadian soldier, just before 11AM November 11. He was killed at Mons Belgium, where the British Army had met the German Army in 1914. Makes it seem even more futile, doesn't it.

I was on parade today playing in the Legion pipe band, 42 year for me. I have had the good fortune to be on parades in Holland and France, but the place and time that is exceptional too experience is in Belgium. Too be at the Menin Gate for the evening bugle ceremony, too hear the bugle call, which is done impeccably, echo through the Arch has a powerful effect and leaves a very haunting impression.

Looking better! Suprising it has survived, let alone been published as such documents were 'Most Secret'. Sound ranging was the first artillery detection system capable of giving a bearing that alowed counter battery fire on an unseen target. The other system used was flash spotting. Artillery developed into a science during the Great War, before that it was open sights, point and shoot.

http://nigelef.tripod.com/tgtacqcb.htm

See also Alister Mitchell's page (and article):

http://www.royalsignals.org.uk/articles/SRS/srs.html

The article in that contains more mathematics than most people are likely to ever need!

(Caution: It's 110 pages and a 20MB download.)

Chris.

Not a lot of people know this. I was watching something on the TV a year or so back. Eamonn Holmes was on. He told how about 1940 his Grandfather was certified on his death certificate as having died of wounds received during the Great War.

Istr a gut wound that never ever healed and he just faded away for over 20 years.

The last WW1 death interred in Orpington All Saints was Quatermaster Sergeant Mark Crowder, Royal Irish Rifles on the 26th August 1921. He just made it into the qualifying time frame for a CWGC grave:

The Commission commemorates those who died during the First and Second World Wars in service or of causes attributable to service. The designated war years are

First World War

4 August 1914 to 31 August 1921

Second World War

3 September 1939 to 31 December 1947

The "death in service" can include someone who dies 1919-1921 who wasn't actually on service during 1914-1918, but i've only come across one of these.

A lot of second world war casualties in the area, including Biggin Hill were intered in the St Mary Cray cemetery a couple of miles from Orpington. Just across the railway line from me. I have to admit (Most embarresed!:red:) I don't know if there are any Great War graves there. Two I do know are Polish airmen whose aircraft crashed outside Croydon. That was a post a while back.

I'll have to go and check.

The local Orpington Hospital (Much to NHS Chagrin, they want to close and sell the place) was gifted to the people of Orpington by the people of Canada as a thank you for causualties treated on the site.

RIR was the regiment to which the original Jersey Detachment were attached.

Yes, there are pictures of the ceremony in various local history books. The oddest official war cemetry I know is in Jersey. It has English and American graves from the 2nd WW , mostly Naval, but it is administered by the Parish of St Helier and the States of Jersey, not the CWWGC.