Tent Frame for a CVRT Tent....

gung

Hi!

Been a while since i was here....

Now i got a question for what i think is an attachable Tent for a CVRT...

Not this small 4 Persons side-Shelter, i mean this quite large Tent on the Back called "Penthouse"?!?

Must look like a Narrow 12x12...

Has anybody of you Pic´s and/or sizes of the Tent set up and the Parts?

Means angle of the brackets

Length of the tubes

Parts list

Additional parts...

Is there an end section, or is it always open on one side as it is fixed to the vehicle?

Thanks for your Help!

Gung

Hi!

Thanks for your help, but no -

Both Tents, the small one that fits on the side and the 9x9 i know very good, but thats not what i mean...

The tent i look for details is - i am pretty sure - an "Command Post Role" tent (dont know if it is the right name...), and the first row of the tent Tubes are permanently fixed on the back of the fighting Vehicle....

Cheers Gung

Hi!

Thanks for your help, but no -

Both Tents, the small one that fits on the side and the 9x9 i know very good, but thats not what i mean...

The tent i look for details is - i am pretty sure - an "Command Post Role" tent (dont know if it is the right name...), and the first row of the tent Tubes are permanently fixed on the back of the fighting Vehicle....

Cheers Gung

I know what type of tent you mean now I have had two in the past both sold on to buy Ferret spares, by all accounts these command type of tents r quite rare so good luck finding one.

Hi Andy!

Something like this...

http://www.military-today.com/apc/fv105_sultan_images.htm

On the Backside Pic you can see the tubes for the tent, but i am sure i have somewhen seen an FV with an ready fixed frame on the back....

And i forgot to write -Lucky as i am: I GOT THE TENT FLY!!! i am only missing the Frame, an END SECTION (i dont know if it exists at all, as on the end normaly there is the FV) and the technical infos! :-)

sorry - my english is getting a bit rusty...

AAAAH - Found it......

In the link Nr.4:

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/pdf/SHELTERS.pdf

On Page 14

"FV432 in Command Post role"

I think this must be the one I have...

There are also the vehicles with the frames attached!

Cheers Gung

Edited by gung

• 2 weeks later...
Hi!

Been a while since i was here....

Now i got a question for what i think is an attachable Tent for a CVRT...

Not this small 4 Persons side-Shelter, i mean this quite large Tent on the Back called "Penthouse"?!?

Must look like a Narrow 12x12...

Has anybody of you Pic´s and/or sizes of the Tent set up and the Parts?

Means angle of the brackets

Length of the tubes

Parts list

Additional parts...

Is there an end section, or is it always open on one side as it is fixed to the vehicle?

Thanks for your Help!

Gung

I crewed Sultans for a couple of years when they were new. (At a Regimental Association weekend a handful of years ago, I made a bee-line for a display of Command Troop Sultans set up to run Battlegroup HQ just as I had done 30 years ago: the penthouses - this is indeed how they are referred - did not appear to have changed in the meantime.)

Istr (could be wrong - it's 30+ years) that the "canvas" (we all know it isn't canvas) was press-stud connected to the Sultan's hull rear. From erect, we'd fold the canvas back over on itself until it was about 2 feet wide, then fold the sides up until it was something like a 2-foot cube, to be stowed in an XPM bin (local mod) occupying almost the entire roof bar the commander's hatch, as seen on Ferrets but MUCH bigger to hold the cam net etc, tables, chairs, 500W generator, etc to run the BGHQ. Then we'd slide the penthouse poles onto the roof and flush with the hull rear where istr they were strapped secure.

Deploying the canvas was the reverse operation. Then hessian went over anything that needed shape, shine, shadow etc camouflaged, then the cam net was rolled out in a similar fashion to the penthouse canvas and then poles to lift it off the shape of the Sultan, otherwise it just looked like a Sultan with hessian and cam nets draped.

The far end from the vehicle had overlapping flaps to minimise light escape. BG HQ had three Sultans, Zero Alpha and Zero Bravo, main and alternate BG Command Vehicles and Zero Charlie, the NBC / Int Cell CV. As I try to remember, there were two overlapping curtains, each the width of the penthouse and a cover sheet which hung down.

In theory they backed on to one another to form a T. If there was an attached command element (usually artillery or ATGW, but it might conceivably be infantry or armour), its ACV could back on to form a cruciform. In fact we rarely had an attached HQ (it might be a 432 which didn't fit as tightly into a Sultan penthouse set-up anyway) and because 0C was not vital to the running of the HQ, we occupied a far smaller footprint with just Alpha and Bravo back to back. Charlie was configured similarly to Alpha and Bravo and was perfectly capable of running the BG Command Net. In truth it tended to be a spare vehicle and crew (commander and operator providing control signallers, an officer or WO if present - rarely - as duty officer and a driver to take his turn guarding the complex).

Set up in a cruciform, the cover sheets covered a square the width of the penthouse between the four penthouses. The curtains could be extended to cover an empty side if there were only three vehicles. However many vehicles in the complex, it was normal to allow only one entrance / exit via the penthouses so that wall and door space could be used as floor space, not door space.

Combat Team (Squadron) HQ only got two Sultans, Alpha and Bravo but were used as described above.

I only discovered a very few years ago that armour did not at the time get ACVs on the Order of Battle. Theirs was a true Fighting HQ (FHQ) - though the term FHQ was used universally by the RAC even though Recce HQs did not fight. The CO and Squadron Leaders got tanks to fight and command from. I have heard of Saracen and FV432 Ambulances usually being kitted out as ACVs.

It's all so long ago. Apologies if I am wrong but this is how I remember it.