Welbike engine value?

Griffo

But is the engine number prefixed XXE? Which is correct for an Excelsior Welbike. Most engines you see are prefixed XXA for the Autocycles. The XXA engines fetch around £100. A genuine Welbike engine could be worth 5-10 as much. Ron

Lightweights 082.jpg

It would seem so Dave. Good find! However there is nothing recorded to my knowledge that indicates the engine number sequence.The first contract for Welbikes bore frame numbers 14-1213 ( for some reason the first 13 frame numbers are missing).

I don't know if they started life with matching frame/eng numbers? Or just fitted any engine into any frame.

My own MK1 is from this 1st contract with frame number 555. The bike was found derelict in India with eng 1893. Was it the original engine or a replacement???

Maybe Lex has more info on this.?

Ron

It would seem so Dave. Good find! However there is nothing recorded to my knowledge that indicates the engine number sequence.The first contract for Welbikes bore frame numbers 14-1213 ( for some reason the first 13 frame numbers are missing).

I don't know if they started life with matching frame/eng numbers? Or just fitted any engine into any frame.

My own MK1 is from this 1st contract with frame number 555. The bike was found derelict in India with eng 1893. Was it the original engine or a replacement???

Maybe Lex has more info on this.?

Ron

Hi Ron and Dave, sorry just back from my holliday in Marrakech, but the quick answer is that the WB's never had matching numbers, but there are other ways of seeing if it's an original engine or not, some detail pictures are needed though.

Ron's engine number seems high for the original (belonging to frame 555) one, but would have to check my lists.

Cheers,

Lex

Hi guys, thanks for the info but I passed up the offer of the engine as I wasn't sure it was correct or not as the engine number seemed very low, it didn't have any manifolds with it but it did have the decompressor blanking plug which was original so maybe it was?? Who knows eh??

Dave

Hi Lex, nice collection of engines there! The engine I was looking at was in a home made scooter from the 1950's it was registered in 1949, the engine number was what attracted me but it would have only been for me to sell on as I have a nice running engine in my repro Welbike or I may have swapped it over but I've got too much on at the mo so I let it go!

The bike went for £460 if that helps.

Dave

• 4 years later...

Hello Ronnie,

Seems the engine is original to the frame, I make it:

Model: MKI

Frame: 800

Engine:XXE907

Census number on tanks: C4659270

Contract number: S789

Your Welbike was not on my register, but have several numbers quite close.

I can check on your numbers if you send me some pictures of them: http://welbike@welbike.net

Cheers,

Lex

• 3 years later...

The framenumber is on the front of the headstock, usually not stamped very clearly, so easily painted over. It will be in the 302X-303X range though.

Contract is the last contract, but is not 1946, this has put people on the wrong path for many times!

Cheers,

Lex

Edited by welbike

• 10 months later...

Gentlemen good evening,

I occasionally view this site for any interesting conversations regarding historic military vehicles. This one regarding the Welbike grabbed my attention. Could any of you experts please confirm the make of carburettor fitted to the Villiers Junior engine. I have an elderly pal who has such a machine and am trying to assist him to get it fully running again. 

What I really need is an overhaul kit and engineering drawing of the carb so as to make sense of the assembly. Are there any suppliers of such repair kits.

Thanks in advance.

Andy S

The carb is a Villiers V576E and parts should be readily available from "Villiers Services" and "Welbike UK" 

Books on Welbikes are available on line by Peter Miller and Rob Van Meel as well as parts lists and maintenance manuals. Ron

W repaint9.jpg

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1