BAOR BBC4 tonight 9pm

timbo

Great programme!!........found it by accident and very much enjoyed it.

My younger cousins were there off and on from about 1979 til 1990 ish one in the Infantry (Gloucesters) ... t'other in Chieftain Tanks.....(Guards ...can't remember now..was it the Coldstreams ?? :undecided:)

anyways ! ..good prog!!

I never new the British army used U.S. reo style whistler trucks? . Could it be 50 missile battery royal artillery that was in the programme using them?.

I'm quite prepared to be shot down in flames by our missile experts, but I thought it was an Honest John missile and Reo type launcher. 24, 39 and 50 Regiments, RA., all used the Honest John

a lot of the black and white footage was taken form the documentary done on 17/21 lancers shots in late 1960s' - sadly no longer available on iplayer

however did anyone record it?

I can't get decent definition on iplayer to be able to see the VRN on the CVRWs that appear in the last 10 minutes , one of them appears to be xxFDxx but there are 2 others at least

anyone have any ideas how to improve picture quality, I know you can't download to keep the programme or copy it but I'd dearly love a couple of screen shots to use as stills as part of a display board

In the mid 1950s myself and two telecommunications S/Sgts travelled from our workshops (6.Armd. Hamm) myself doing the driving. We took a 3 tonne truck (I seem to recall that it was a Fordson V8, workshop bodied) We travelled to the 17th/21st Lancers, they were stationed at that time on the East German Border at Brunswick (Braunschweig) We stayed there for a few days to complete our task. Whilst there I witnessed something that I found quite ammusing at the time. I was sitting in the NAAFI having some refreshments and listening to the records on the very ornate dukebox. All of the guys in there were 17th/21st, apart from myself and a few other REME (LAD) guys. A trooper walked up to the dukebox and stood contemplating what songs that he wanted to play (You got 3 records for your coin) just when he had deposited his coin into the machine, a much bigger guy who had been standing behind him, just pushed him to one side and selected his choice of record. I remember that they were all Elvis Presley records, Elvis was very popular at that time, in fact I think that Elvis had just arrived in Germany to do his service with the US Army....... good days.....good times... good memories.

In the mid 1950s myself and two telecommunications S/Sgts travelled from our workshops (6.Armd. Hamm) myself doing the driving. We took a 3 tonne truck (I seem to recall that it was a Fordson V8, workshop bodied) We travelled to the 17th/21st Lancers, they were stationed at that time on the East German Border at Brunswick (Braunschweig) We stayed there for a few days to complete our task. Whilst there I witnessed something that I found quite ammusing at the time. I was sitting in the NAAFI having some refreshments and listening to the records on the very ornate dukebox. All of the guys in there were 17th/21st, apart from myself and a few other REME (LAD) guys. A trooper walked up to the dukebox and stood contemplating what songs that he wanted to play (You got 3 records for your coin) just when he had deposited his coin into the machine, a much bigger guy who had been standing behind him, just pushed him to one side and selected his choice of record. I remember that they were all Elvis Presley records, Elvis was very popular at that time, in fact I think that Elvis had just arrived in Germany to do his service with the US Army....... good days.....good times... good memories.

Why does the brain go mushy when you are in your seventies............. Jukebox, Jukebox, 100 times, Jukebox.

a lot of the black and white footage was taken form the documentary done on 17/21 lancers shots in late 1960s' - sadly no longer available on iplayer

I can't get decent definition on iplayer to be able to see the VRN on the CVRWs that appear in the last 10 minutes , one of them appears to be xxFDxx but there are 2 others at least

anyone have any ideas how to improve picture quality, I know you can't download to keep the programme or copy it but I'd dearly love a couple of screen shots to use as stills as part of a display board

Its still on the iplayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00jrhyh/Tuesday_Documentary_Death_or_Glory/

The one in colour moving through the trees on its own looks like 10FD54 but the angle isn't clever so the first two digits may be wrong.

Andy

If you have a wii attached to your telly and a wifi connection you can watch it on telly. The quality definitely isnt HD but it is a much more pleasant experience than watching it on a crappy pc...

I never new the British army used U.S. reo style whistler trucks? . Could it be 50 missile battery royal artillery that was in the programme using them?.

They were actually Internationals with Continental petrol engines. I had done some refurbishment on the Honest John launcher now at Firepower and a missile supply truck that they had. I believe the vehicles were passed on to us from the US, not brand new.

The Abbot driving down a road with others is (or was) 07 EB 10, anyone know what happend to this one ?

I've already looked that one up! The old Abbot Database shows it as in private hands and "Clive requires REME manuals to finish this Abbot". There's a photo of it sitting alongside some other vehicles somewhere that looks suspiciously like the REME museum at Borden, so landyandy and friends may know more?

Andy

The Abbot driving down a road with others is (or was) 07 EB 10, anyone know what happend to this one ?

My Abbot...............I mean the goverments, was 08 EB 10 last heard of being restored and sold on.........? I have got a picture somewhere?

Why does the brain go mushy when you are in your seventies............. Jukebox, Jukebox, 100 times, Jukebox.

You should have kept quiet Ray I thought Dukebox was a German version but there again my brains going mushy in my early 50's!