Range wrecks

plainmilitary

evening

has anyone any pics of these vehicles being towed or moved into position or any know how on procedure for this, as i am looking for imfo for a model build for a friend

many thanks

iain

A great many of these vehicles have been driven onto range and then used as targets some fully fuelled and still running whilst being used as targets. It isn't the done thing to do it that way nowadays I am led to believe due to environmental concerns?! Engines, fuel tanks and wiring is removed.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

It has all the signs of sectional removal of a targeted area after a test -which I wouldn't have thought would take place at Lulworth:confused: There are places with much better security. Alternatively over enthusiastic scrappers -there was huge amounts of cuting done to illegaly dispose of the Turk-Line AFVs in Bulgaria.

As Big Al said treaty obligation wrecking was done with explosive charges.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be putting some up on the Otterburn thread given some time -problem is A). Avoiding duplication with photos I've put up on other threads B) Getting them uploaded from prints via scanner- it does take time. In the mean time there is a search facility on the forum which can be useful.

Couple of CFE victims on OTA

Steve

chieftain.jpg

chieftain 9.jpg

• 8 months later...

The following pics (cropped) were taken at Imber on 22 April 2011, these are visible from the Warminster to Imber road.

If someone is going to do a book, will it include gate guards as in the aviation Wrecks and Relics books?

Also do you count non targets on military training area. In the 1980's there were half a dozen stripped out Pigs on the training area behind RAF Barnham.

imber 4.jpg

imber 5.jpg

imber 6.jpg

imber 7.jpg

imber 8.jpg

imber 9.jpg

imber 10.jpg

imber 11.jpg

imber 12.jpg

imber 13.jpg

imber 14.jpg

imber 17.jpg

imber 18.jpg

imber 1_edited-1.jpg

imber 2_edited-1.jpg

imber 3_edited-1.jpg

imber 15_edited-1.jpg

imber 16_edited-1.jpg

• 3 months later...

Cracking photos.....

........of the Imber wrecks....the 11th one down......

..given that they (I presume?) are never left on the range with any fuel or explosives in them .......what would /could/possibly have hit that one to blow it apart so comprehensively?

also..........

....what sort of shell has hit the old Comet to 'pepper pot' it like that????

cheers!

also....... I think its somewhere in this thread...a while back I posted a few picture of a Chieftain on the edge of the FIBUA village up at the Epynt Range/Sennybridge for those interested in Chietain wrecks.............pretty wrecked mind you.....:-D

i think the chieftain turret might have slid off rather than have been blown off, maybe one too many hits on the turret ring from an anti tank round helped it on it's way but it could have been arty it's hard to say without taking a proper look at the damage

as for the comet it has been hit with infantry antitank rounds but it's hard to say which as all the shaped charge munitions leave the same 20mm size hole but it could be a law 66 or milan, although that's just a guess i suppose you could have a look on line to see what the weapon of choice was for the finns.

rick

I really don't like to see the Chieftains reduced to rusting battered wrecks on ranges....

...I was at Junior School in the 60s when they came into service and I remember chat in my family amongst all the ex- military menfolk of how awesome a tank it was...how modern and how it was....(probably)...at that time, the best tank in the world....

....I also remember getting a poster of one to go on my bedroom wall and also!..

........for a while ..... (as one of a series of military vehicles/planes etc) ...a Cheiftain was on the back of Kelloggs Cornflake boxs (along with Harrier Jump Jets..also now more or less scrapped and gone) as a beautifully detailed line drawing to show off our 'modern' military equiptment for eager young lads like me to collect the series...........

Basically I guess ......it makes me feel very old to see them now as just heaps of scrap..........:(

I also remember how envious I was of my cousin when he wound up as a Chieftain driver in The Guards....altogether it makes me rather sad.......ah well :(