Austin Champ 106mm M40 RR question

Trooper15

I recently found a photo of a restored Paras Austin Champ fitted with the 106mm recoilless rifle ,unfortunatly It was only one frontal photo , can anyone suggest where I could find more photos that show how the 106 is installed and what other modifications were made to accomodate it ?

regards

Brian

Here is the photo I took of the Champ at Evesham - I'm sure there are loads of others about - it was a very good replica!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67948[/ATTACH]

Hi Peter , that is the photo I found on the net ! , you dont happer to have any of the rear or interior by any chance ?

thanks for the reply

Brian

I spent many years trying to find out how these things went together...

There is nothing in the EMER’s so I think it was a very limited modification. (less than 24 vehicles)

These were put together in a hurry for the Suez campaign in 1956,

the M40 may have been leased from the Americans, but this time the Americans did not want any involvement in Suez ,so they could have been supplied by France.

The parachute regiment first saw these weapons been fired by the French in Cyprus while joint training prior to the invasion

3 Para that parachuted on to Gamil airfield fitted their recoilless rifles to WW2 era Willys jeeps . 1 Para had theirs fitted to champs for the later beach landings.

I did have a look through the photo archive in the Airborne forces museum. The only thing I did find of any use was a close up photo of the barrel clamp.

As far as I can work out there are two ways the rifles were fitted to the champs

1 for use in Suez (painted light stone)

2 for use in Europe (painted bronze green)

As far as I have figured out the main differences are......

Light stone (Suez)

Bonnet has reinforcing bar and sheet material fitted to the windscreen supports.

Spare wheel fitted to the driver’s side

Spade fitted down the front mud guard

Non folding barrel clamp

Rifle clamped directly on to the rear of the side body panel

Bronze green (Europe)

No bonnet reinforcement

Spare wheel fitted on bonnet

Rifle clamped to extended (high) side body panels

Both types have the rear body panel removed.

I did at first, have the front wheel of the recoilless rifle resting on the rear seat base (folded forward) this worked well and did place the wheel at the right height and was simple

I now have the wheel fitted into a mount made from a couple of pieces of angle iron running from the top of the transition tunnel to the back of the seat/battery box. This way is also simple and gives the advantage of been able to use the rear foot wells for storage.

With the lack of information on how these were put together I decided to go ahead with the little information I had and wait for people to tell me what I had done wrong!!!!

Many thanks for your help and information , as you say photos of the Suez champs are very thin on the ground , I found a decentish one of a Champ with 2 Para in Joprdan in 68 and a couple of other not so clear ones.It is for a model (until Howard's is released) so all help is appreciated.

Thanks again

Brian

I spent many years trying to find out how these things went together...

There is nothing in the EMER’s so I think it was a very limited modification. (less than 24 vehicles)

These were put together in a hurry for the Suez campaign in 1956,

the M40 may have been leased from the Americans, but this time the Americans did not want any involvement in Suez ,so they could have been supplied by France.

The parachute regiment first saw these weapons been fired by the French in Cyprus while joint training prior to the invasion

3 Para that parachuted on to Gamil airfield fitted their recoilless rifles to WW2 era Willys jeeps . 1 Para had theirs fitted to champs for the later beach landings.

I did have a look through the photo archive in the Airborne forces museum. The only thing I did find of any use was a close up photo of the barrel clamp.

As far as I can work out there are two ways the rifles were fitted to the champs

1 for use in Suez (painted light stone)

2 for use in Europe (painted bronze green)

As far as I have figured out the main differences are......

Light stone (Suez)

Bonnet has reinforcing bar and sheet material fitted to the windscreen supports.

Spare wheel fitted to the driver’s side

Spade fitted down the front mud guard

Non folding barrel clamp

Rifle clamped directly on to the rear of the side body panel

Bronze green (Europe)

No bonnet reinforcement

Spare wheel fitted on bonnet

Rifle clamped to extended (high) side body panels

Both types have the rear body panel removed.

I did at first, have the front wheel of the recoilless rifle resting on the rear seat base (folded forward) this worked well and did place the wheel at the right height and was simple

I now have the wheel fitted into a mount made from a couple of pieces of angle iron running from the top of the transition tunnel to the back of the seat/battery box. This way is also simple and gives the advantage of been able to use the rear foot wells for storage.

With the lack of information on how these were put together I decided to go ahead with the little information I had and wait for people to tell me what I had done wrong!!!!

Hi Howard

Many thanks for the offer, I have sent you an email.

Much appreciated.

regards

Brian

Hi Trooper 15

I have heaps of all round close ups of that conversion (same vehicle, taken at Evesham this year).

Taken to produce a 106 recoiless rifle conversion kit for our 1/24th Champ model next year.

Drop me a line if you still need pics on kfs1@btinternet.com

Regards........Howard @ KFS