Weight of an 8 metre mast

Cornishbloke

Question

6 answers to this question

I've just bought one with the CES on eBay and need to arrange a courier. Does anyone know the weight of the two packages and the length of the closed mast?

Cheers

Richard

Which mast, have you got a part number for it, since Racal made a shedload (technical term) of masts over the years.

Failing that, what was the eBay lot number?

I've got access to the 1981 antenna catalogue and it probably lists the lengths and weights.

Chris.

Which mast, have you got a part number for it, since Racal made a shedload (technical term) of masts over the years.

Failing that, what was the eBay lot number?

I've got access to the 1981 antenna catalogue and it probably lists the lengths and weights.

Chris.

Just in case it's the MA-716 (Racal 8m aluminium mast):

Mast - closed length 1.5 metres, weight (in case) 10.2 kg

Ancillaries (in bag) weight 18.1 kg.

If it was 320973637704 on eBay, then that is the mast and the details are correct.

Chris

Edited by Chris Suslowicz
Looked on eBay

Spot on Chris - did I get a bargain??

I've truly no idea - they're far to heavy for me to lug one around on foot (18kg for the rigging kit!), but it looks complete and in good condition. I shudder to think what they cost the MoD originally, possibly ten times that price.

On balance I'd say it was a good buy, I've seen them offered for £300+:wow:

Chris.

I've truly no idea - they're far to heavy for me to lug one around on foot (18kg for the rigging kit!), but it looks complete and in good condition. I shudder to think what they cost the MoD originally, possibly ten times that price.

On balance I'd say it was a good buy, I've seen them offered for £300+:wow:

Chris.

They do fit nicely on the back of a Landrover though (with the right clamp and special rear bumperettes) - saves all the heavy lugging!! :D

I'm planning to get an RB44 communications vehicle and this came up at the right time. I believe that they fit to the outside rear or can be demounted if necessary. In the meantime I'll use it to explore HF antenna. I've got a 5.4m for lugging with the 320, and I want to try some different set ups using both.

It's almost like trying to buy a vehicle one bit at a time!

Thanks for all the input

Richard :)