Oh dear, the Journey we had getting home from the Victory Show!

Do you know we had to change and catch three different connections between Cosby and home - The state of the public transport these days eh?...........tut

P1100137.jpg

There's always congestion wherever you go............. (Cloud bashing over Stamford Battle Range, Thetford, Norfolk)

P1100270.jpg

I didn't realise that Cosby was so close to the seaside! (P-51 Pairs formation diving down on Southwold, Suffolk on the way home

from The Victory Show and desperately trying to hold the camera steady!)

P1100165.jpg

Overflying the 1st Air Division B-17 airfield of Glatton or Deenthorpe, I forget which. (Inbound Saturday morning. A1 just off the wing-tip)

P1100222.jpg

Unless you have to pick up a Passport in a hurry, this is the best way to visit Peterborough........from 3500 feet and at 110mph !

(Boeing Stearman - All stick and rudder, avgas fumes and wind in your hair, but what a great way to travel on a hot day)

P1100296.jpg

And for some of us, it just gets all too much - My 3 yr old daughter fell asleep 10 minutes out from Cosby and didn't wake up until 2 hours after landing! (Ain't she beautiful, but of course I'm totally bias!)

What an amazing weekend and what a fantastic event. Sincere thanks must go to Steve Pepper and his team of organisers at The Victory Show for pulling off an outstanding event and to warbird operator Maurice Hammond for being outstandingly generous !

Edited by M5Clive
Adding photo & poor grammar !

Good seeing you again Clive, you turned up just in time to answer the mustang gun question, if you ever get fed up with these journeys, I'll see if I can spare the time to take your place:D, on the way home we were in a good 7 vehicle (3 GMC ) convey back down the A14 so that made for a good sight.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Jack

These are the only two pics I took.....

Mildenhall and Lakenheath on the way to Cosby on Sunday morning at 4500 ft. Soon after this, the controller asked me to turn right 20 degrees to let a KC135 through, who am I to argue! The American controllers are great, laidback though quick talking and they always call me sir!

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

Edited by Jack

Great pictures Adrian. Not until looking at your photographs did I realise that they have dispensed with the two secondary shorter runways on each airfield, opting to keep just one single runway operational.

But thinking about it, this is the case on so many military airfields that were WWII bases, Fairford and Wattisham immediately springing to mind.

You were much further South than us as we could barely see Mildenhall beyond Lakenheath, but we were heading direct to Seething that bit further North.

You were much further South than us as we could barely see Mildenhall beyond Lakenheath, but we were heading direct to Seething that bit further North.

Seething.........that's a fair description of how I feel every time you keep posting these pics of you popping around the country in these fantastic aircraft.:argh:

Seething.........that's a fair description of how I feel every time you keep posting these pics of you popping around the country in these fantastic aircraft.:argh:

I know Degsy!

If it makes you feel any better, I really do appreciate what a genuine privilege it is to be able to do this type of thing on very rare occasions and although I always appear to make light of it in my threads, I really do realise just what a wonderful opportunity it is and I never ever take the experience remotely for granted.

It is unquestionably an absolute privilege and I do genuinely feel that I must do a fair bit to earn these sort of one-off opportunities, as Maurice is certainly no fool and not remotely in the habit of cavorting free-loading day-trippers around the skies of England for the love of it.

Hopefully my pictures give everyone reading this thread a sense of being along on the flight.

I know Degsy!

If it makes you feel any better, I really do appreciate what a genuine privilege it is to be able to do this type of thing on very rare occasions and although I always appear to make light of it in my threads, I really do realise just what a wonderful opportunity it is and I never ever take the experience remotely for granted.

It is unquestionably an absolute privilege and I do genuinely feel that I must do a fair bit to earn these sort of one-off opportunities, as Maurice is certainly no fool and not remotely in the habit of cavorting free-loading day-trippers around the skies of England for the love of it.

Hopefully my pictures give everyone reading this thread a sense of being along on the flight.

Clive, as I'm sure you're aware I was gently taking the wee wee:-D

I feel very fortunate to have flown in Dakota's back in the sixties when they were still in common airline use and nothing that was around at that time could compare to them. Your pictures and descriptions take me back in time to the late forties/early fifties when I used to accompany my father whose business took him to RAF stations. A lot of the wartime aircraft and crew were still around at that time and on a number of occasions I was lucky enough to be taken to see them close up and on a couple of occasions even sit in them, as you can imagine this left a huge impression on me.

Dackota's, Viscount, Vangaurd, the old HS748, Andover. Bristol Frieghters, Argosy. Back in the days of my Yoof, flown on them all. As a kid I used to fly unacompanied from Jersey to my sister's in Luton. One of the joys was a handy place to put unaccompanied minors, was the cockpit jump seat! I knew my way around a Dacks cockpit before I knew cars! If any of you ever watched the series about Buffalo Airways in Northern Canada they still operate the old piston aircraft, main trouble is getting leaded petrol now.

• 2 weeks later...