British WW2 10cwt Mortar / Ammunition Trailer

Ian L

Ian,

there is a pic of a few of these Mortar trailers and mortar crew in action in 's Hertogenbosch, Holland. I don't know if it is THE reason, but you see the trailers resting on the towing eye which gives very easy access to the cargo area of the trailer for quick action.

Alex

Hi Ian,

No, sadly I don't have more pics, apart from the ones posted on MLU. I know you are on MLU and there is a good thread about 10cwt trailers over there...sadly not too much pics of the Mortar trailer though.

If I remember correctly the original pic of the crew in 's Hertogenbosch is slightly bigger. This one seems to be cropped. I will check if I can find the pic....I should have it in a book somewhere.

Alex

• 8 years later...
On 9/6/2012 at 12:25 PM, Alex van de Wetering said:

If I remember correctly the original pic of the crew in 's Hertogenbosch is slightly bigger. This one seems to be cropped. I will check if I can find the pic....I should have it in a book somewhere.

Here's a better version of this picture:

20776647_10154680854091791_4696358812715035010_o.thumb.jpg.aed0b78f6c276e15ad400ea1f3a7f7a5.jpg

On 9/4/2012 at 7:55 PM, Ian L said:

Why did they design the 'tail flap' to open forwards on the British WW2 10cwt Mortar / Ammunition Trailers ?

See the IWM footage posted by Alistair "ajmac" on his FB page. Note: it seems I cannot insert a link  here, Alistair may be able to post the link to the IWM site.

To me it seems the reason why the trailer opens to the front, is that it enables the crew to (sort of) slide the baseplate up over the tow hitch, instead of having to heave it up to the level of a rear opening tail gate.