Ot-64 SKOT and MTLBu

Jarek has found me a new gear box for the SKOT. :wow: That will be here mid march, along with the BRDM,UAz and MW 650. Have found a chap here that can work on the SKOT and other Eastern block equipment...wonders never cease!

Warewolf ( you know who I mean :cheesy:), is now being sued by me, through the Polish courts. Will let you know how things are going...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pulled a heap of brass fragments out of the oil pump ( you can see it center of the picture), things turned freely after that. Dosn't look to be any damage done there.

Exploring the high/low transfer box this week. Massive crack in the control box for 4x4 and 8x8 drive located on the transfer box. My engineer mate is going to make a new one for it. :D

Got on my hands and knees today and completly degreased the engine and gear box compartment. So far this is what the list looks like

1:New Wilson gear box

2:New clutch and recondition the clutch housings

3:Repairs to the transfer box and components

4:Blow out all lines

5:Repair and replace the air components on the gear box.

And some other things we have found

1:Replace steering seals on the front axels

2:Complete take down of the fuel lines and filters, clean,replace etc.

3:Several hand cables need replacing, snapped or frayed

4:Tune up and replace the oils and filters

Hoping to get these done within the next two months. The flat rack has turned up in Gydnia for the BRDM-2, Jarek will be loading the BRDM-2, UAz 469, MW-650, SKOT engine and gearbox on the 2nd of Febuary :D

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The new restored gear box and it's componets went into the SKOT today. But the god's were not smiling on me. I tried to start it and got nowhere, after bleeding and cleaning the fuel filter, that was putrid. I got the engine going, the mechanic had a look at the engine as it was noisy....and said that it was only working on three cylinders. After more work bleeding lines, that didn't improve anything, it was decieded that I will have to swap the engine out, luckily I have a spare SKOT engine. Will test the new engine out, take out the old one and clean and inspect the lines etc. More work! :n00b:

113_zps093156c5.jpg

111_zpsc4bcbda5.jpg

114_zps5645f1f5.jpg

115_zpsdbd2f171.jpg

124_zps34c1c3a9.jpg

123_zps8b247a9a.jpg

125_zps1e6ee91f.jpg

More photos of the engine swapping out soon........:wow:

OK Iam mad, but it just happens that I have a spare SKOT motor in the garage :nut: ! Now to test the new one and take out the old motor and clean the engine space and fix any broken lines and hydraulics, but anyway here are some pics of the new motor.......more soon.

003_zps56c68409.jpg

001_zps515382d0.jpg

002_zps900bba62.jpg

008_zps0e164401.jpg

007_zpsd509567b.jpg

012_zps58c2d675.jpg

009_zpsb313bcf0.jpg

beautiful engine Skot, you certainly have had no luck with this lot at all...I suspect the skot is underpowered for the weight it has to carry all the time....the engine must have to be working very hard all the time so putting it under a lot of stress...and they were never popular as a military vehicle not just becuase of the driving position but due to the high maintenance..

you are certainly not having much luck though...fantastic job your doing there...

cant wait to visit in the next 12 months...

Paul

beautiful engine Skot, you certainly have had no luck with this lot at all...I suspect the skot is underpowered for the weight it has to carry all the time....the engine must have to be working very hard all the time so putting it under a lot of stress...and they were never popular as a military vehicle not just becuase of the driving position but due to the high maintenance..

you are certainly not having much luck though...fantastic job your doing there...

cant wait to visit in the next 12 months...

Paul

Make sure you do come down to Tassie mate, stay a couple days at my place! Just PM me when you are ready!

Make sure you do come down to Tassie mate, stay a couple days at my place! Just PM me when you are ready!

you are for sure on that and can take it we will be there...will let you know but it will likely be early next year...any best dates for you...PM me..let me know if you need any small parts that I can bring...had no luck looking through the manuals on the MTLB, will get my Russian man to have a look...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The new motor, that is going into the SKOT within the next two weeks. It will sound alot better once it is in him! :D

th_IMG_0665_zpsa884c73e.jpg

Three hours to get the armored top off the SKOT, and another 4 hours to remove all the stuff off the motor to pull it. None of the injectors were any good and worn out, $1000 Aussie dollars to get cleaned and replaced, decieded that the new motor was the only viable option as I don't know what else is lurking under there :nut:! Lots of nice surprises though, the hydraulic fluid was contaminated with water, so will have to clean the system out, the accelerator cable was only hanging on by one thread, god knows what would have happened if we hadn't found it. Should be an interesting and expensive couple of weeks coming up...

• 2 weeks later...

Some more pics for you all! :cool2: The Gearbox has now been reconnected to it's drives and the sludge has been cleaned out of the oil basin.....enough grot to suggest that it has not been touched since 1968!

photo_zps4e952ce9.jpg

The bottom of the SKOT before washing!

We have been told that there is another SKOT in Australia! Bought from a chap in the UK, Aussie quarantine had a fit and charged the $26,500 + GST to clean it! Makes my 10,000 EURO seem cheap for two vehicles LOL! :wow: