Cushman 53 Airborne scoote, can anyone help!

BC312

I was wondering if anyone could help me on this one or put me in contact with the right person or place etc. I plan to build a replica of the Airborne Cushman scooter. Looking at pictures photo's and the manual it looks such a piece of cake to build one, i am surprised that its not been manufactured as a replica, being quite rare and so expensive these days for an original, maybe its tagged with the name 'airborne' that makes it expensive to buy one. As i have said in my introduction making it is the easy part but finding the measurements and sizes is the hardest part. I am trying to find out if there are any Cushman owners about preferably around the Hampshire area that has one that i could take measurements and a few picture off or if there are any in a museum ( i know there is one in Duxford but a bit of a trek to visit). Can anyone be so kind to help.

Well it is a motorcycle I suppose? But I'm not sure about the Airborne title? Lex who visits this forum has just rebuilt an original.....but he's away till middle of next week. I also know another Dutch guy with several of them.

Ron

Building one sounds like a cracking idea mate.......when I were a lad my Dad who owned a Horticultural Shop built me a 'sort of' para scooter out of a Briggs and Stratton concrete mixer engine , some 3/4" steel pipe and a pair of wheel barrow wheels..........wish I'd kept it now come to think of it ! :cool2:

Well it is a motorcycle I suppose? But I'm not sure about the Airborne title? Lex who visits this forum has just rebuilt an original.....but he's away till middle of next week. I also know another Dutch guy with several of them.

Ron

Hopefully Lex can help out when he is back. Would the Dutch guy be able to help out?

Building one sounds like a cracking idea mate.......when I were a lad my Dad who owned a Horticultural Shop built me a 'sort of' para scooter out of a Briggs and Stratton concrete mixer engine , some 3/4" steel pipe and a pair of wheel barrow wheels..........wish I'd kept it now come to think of it ! :cool2:[/QU

They say that the Husky engine from the Cushman is basicly a horticultural engine originaly used for lawn mowers etc back in the 1930s.

Briggs and Stratton (American origin) are near enough similar to the husky, especialy the upright ones. The only problem i may have is finding a similar clutch and two speed gear box arangement that would be similar in apearance. I was looking at vintage lawn mowers etc that may have something similar.

Hi all, Just back from foreign climes! First of all, I am not totally opposed to replica's, but when they are (eventually) sold as originals its not a good thing! this has happened already twice that I know off, once in GB and once in Holland!

Not that I would not notice it, but any less informed person might, remember when it's too good to be true, it's not true!!

Anyway back to the question, to my knowledge there are no plans/drawings etc. available anywhere, then there is the problem of the steel "I" profile used, this is not availeble anymore, not even in the US, so has to be made somehow?

Another thing about the Husky engines, there were many types! so you have to have the right one, otherwise it will only run backwards, does not fit, not the right clutch etc. etc. you will understand that the right engine is very collectable and expensive.

There was a commercial repro on Epay a while ago; http://www.ebay.com/itm/280896627332 looked horrible!!

But then even "original" Cushmans are difficult to complete, and have usually many replica parts, mine is not too bad, has a replica engine shroud, and postwar carburrettor, for better starting, will change this when I've rebuilt the original carby. Have the original tyres, airfilter and dataplate, things that are 99% not there.

WP_000069.jpg

WP_000072.jpg

Some disadvantages of Cushman Mod 53 scooters, they are not too good in the mud! otherwise quite good offroad, sometimes even better then on the road! (like on the beach)

They are grossly overpriced for what they are, slow, heavy, cumbersome, noisy, lots of vibration!

Advantages are, they are Airborne. collectible and COOL! little kids can and will ride them!

Cushman_in_St_Oedenrode_011.jpg

WP_000375.jpg

But you cannot, (and I tried) do big distances with them, or go on the motorway, just too slow!

Anyway, hope this helps, I'll be taking the Cushman to Founders Day VMCC Jumble in the beginning of Sept. there's a Military bike theme there, so you could take all the pictures you want.

Have also a friend who is making a replica from a later model in the US, whom I can bring you in contact with.

Cheers,

Lex

Edited by welbike
spelling

I totally agree with your comments regarding replicas sold as original. The trouble with military vehicles and equipment these days are the silly prices that such things go for, not just Cushman’s but handcarts etc, and just because its labelled ‘airborne’ the price rockets even more. This puts original vehicles out of reach with some of us mortals not on the best of incomes, so a replica is the next option.

As for replica parts, I know that some people buy the original boxed parts and don’t use them on their Jeeps or Harleys etc, as they display them on the wall as part of their collection and use replica parts to run the vehicle as the original spares in their war time packaging can being quite valuable in their own right as original stocks shrink and get more scarce, sound silly but I know a few people who do this. I see no harm in replica parts as long as they fit properly. Even vintage classic cars have replica body parts etc made during restoration. Eventually most of all original bits will run out one day and it will be just replica bits to keep ones pride and joy running.

Thanks for the information, I didn’t know the’ I ’ section was as you described, I thought it was some simple channelling. I know they don’t even touch a Harley but it would be more fun making one than riding one. What part of the country are you from, as there seems to be a few Founders Day VMCC Jumbles about. If you could pass details of you friend who is making the replica that would be great, if he doesn’t mind me contacting him and can advise and help.

I have seen your website and the Cooper Para scooter Prototype, looks a very interesting piece of kit, do you have much information on it, I tried to look it up without much success.

Edited by BC312

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
hi all, just back from foreign climes! First of all, i am not totally opposed to replica's, but when they are (eventually) sold as originals its not a good thing! This has happened already twice that i know off, once in gb and once in holland!

Not that i would not notice it, but any less informed person might, remember when it's too good to be true, it's not true!!

Anyway back to the question, to my knowledge there are no plans/drawings etc. Available anywhere, then there is the problem of the steel "i" profile used, this is not availeble anymore, not even in the us, so has to be made somehow?

Another thing about the husky engines, there were many types! So you have to have the right one, otherwise it will only run backwards, does not fit, not the right clutch etc. Etc. You will understand that the right engine is very collectable and expensive.

There was a commercial repro on epay a while ago; http://www.ebay.com/itm/280896627332 looked horrible!!

But then even "original" cushmans are difficult to complete, and have usually many replica parts, mine is not too bad, has a replica engine shroud, and postwar carburrettor, for better starting, will change this when i've rebuilt the original carby. Have the original tyres, airfilter and dataplate, things that are 99% not there.

wp_000069.jpg

wp_000072.jpg

some disadvantages of cushman mod 53 scooters, they are not too good in the mud! Otherwise quite good offroad, sometimes even better then on the road! (like on the beach)

they are grossy overpriced for what they are, slow, heavy, cumbersome, noisy, lots of vibration!

Advantages are, they are airborne. Collectible and cool! Little kids can and will ride them!

cushman_in_st_oedenrode_011.jpg

wp_000375.jpg

but you cannot, (and i tried) do big distances with them, or go on the motorway, just too slow!

Anyway, hope this helps, i'll be taking the cushman to founders day vmcc jumble in the beginning of sept. There's a military bike theme there, so you could take all the pictures you want.

Have also a friend who is making a replica from a later model in the us, whom i can bring you in contact with.

Cheers,

lex

can u post sum pictures of your cooper 1944 prototype ? Sounds interesting !

• 2 weeks later...
hi there,

heres a shot of the cooper, a ww2 picture, mine is too buried at the moment under other stuff to take pictures, but i can try later tonight. Simplex of new orleans did one 1943, prototype ? It folded...airborne...nice.!

cooper_002_b.jpg

will start a new topic then too.

Cheers,

lex

simplex of new orleans did one 1943 prototype ? It folded....