Value of RAF AEC Matador?

kev_c

Hi, Can anyone give me an idea of value of my late Father's Matador. It underwent a full restoration about 20 years ago, but has been stood for years now. It has been sheeted up, but the elements have got to it a bit. It is in not too bad a condition really. It was never fitted with a winch. It was made in 1953 and was RAF.

Thanks

Kev

matador4.jpg

matador1.jpg

matador2.jpg

matador3.jpg

Having just gone through the process of searching for, and buying an MV, the price is what someone is prepared to pay for it! At the moment, the market seems pretty weak for anything that is not rare or very desirable. Lots of stuff out up at "market rates" on eBay, etc, but it does not seem to sell! I suspect, that as indicated above, you need to find a buyer, then negotiate. Lets face it, in pure money terms, a large truck like this is quite likely going to cost more money to restore than it will be worth, even if got for free! But thats not what it is all about (is it?).

Hi I am interested in finding out more about your Matador,sorry the circumstances are not the best.,I love these old trucks and I am currently restoring two,not sure how much you were looking for but I am very interested.Thanks scott.I am in the oxford area.

hello,

I think i remember this truck and your late father, was his name also Kevin? If it is the same truck your father made a fantasic job of it, and it seems to have stood the test of time quite well too.

regards Rippo

Hi Rippo, yes, my Dad was called Kevin also. We did do a good job of it and it was mint when it was finished. My Dad wasn't able to keep showing it due to ill health and it has just sat there for years. It has plenty of antifreeze in it so it should be ok. I am going to attempt to get it running (most people have said it should run fine - AEC for you!) and then we will be selling it, so it can go to a good home and be treated like it deserves. It would be a really easy project for someone as it is complete, it just needs some TLC.

Where did you know my Dad from?

regards

Kev

Sorry to hear about your dad - it looks like he had a lovely vehicle.

Here's an advert for one that I think was fairly recently - http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/large_image.php?ad=61329&cat=4 so you can get a bit of a baseline. Obviously that one needs a lot more restoration but it is in running condition which makes a big difference.

Larger vehicles tend to have less of a market as there are less people around who have the space for one. That said, AEC's are popular vehicles and the Matador has a very British look about it, which should appeal to a reasonable crowd.

• 7 months later...

Hello There,

I know this thread has been quiet for a while but I wondered if the Matador had been sold? If not could you private message me Kev as I may be interested.

Cheers,

Paul

Herefordshire

Howard! How you doin'?

Yes the entrance to the barn is low(ish) but without the canvas and frame a Mat might just go....

You will probably know actually - whats the hight over the cab of a Matador? The barn entrance is 9'6"...

With your expertise maybe I could roll a Mat on its side to get it in? :cheesy:

Cheers,

Paul

I don't have a real one to hand to measure Paul & the drawings are all stored away, but upscaling the 1/24th models says it is just over 10 feet.

Dropping the 'canopy' on most Mats is not easy though, as many if not all, had tin tops on the body or at least metal quadrant corners fixed to the uprights (I have pics if you want) bit more to it than dropping the top of a Bedford.

Getting it in on its side requires a run up at 48mph & a burst tyre (thumbs out of the way when it goes):trustme:

Anyway I would have thought a Green Goddess is more up your ally ?.:D

Later.....H

Hi Howard,

Most RAF Mats were flat beds I think and the one in the pics has a conventional hood frame I suspect - its certainly a rather different body to an artillery version, so it might of worked - but 10ft over the cab is still too tall so such a vehicle is probably a non-starter anyway :embarrassed:. Thanks for checking though!

Green Goddesses are nice but not on the RAF theme (though there was the 'mk8' which was RL based)

Syd1.jpg

Cheers

Hi Paul,

I was measuring 10' over the tin top on the body......I confess I did`nt notice it was a different body in the pics of the restored RAF one on the previous page till I looked again....you're right. I guess it depends on the body height of the headboard then & whether that is demountable.

Get an RL or a Militant Mk1......I need to measure up both :cool2::cool2::cool2:

H

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...