Gun mount from Saracen turret-> Ferret

smashycrashy

I know someone with a Saracen whose turret is one of the triple door variety and I was looking at getting the gun mount from it for one of my Mk 2/3 Ferrets (2-door turret). Does anyone know if the gun mount from that type of turret would fit the earlier model turret?

Suspect not but I have the earlier style of mount that fits that turret open to offers

• 3 years later...
I know someone with a Saracen whose turret is one of the triple door variety and I was looking at getting the gun mount from it for one of my Mk 2/3 Ferrets (2-door turret). Does anyone know if the gun mount from that type of turret would fit the earlier model turret?

I know this is an ancient thread, but key issue is whether Saracen turret had a GPMG mount or a Browning mount. The triple door turrets were earlier versions and probably had Brownings. My Saracen is an MK6 model, with a double door turret, and it has a GPMG mount. I am pretty sure Ferrets had Brownings, though I could be wrong.

I'm not sure whether it will fit or not. I'll have a look at my parts guide tonight - there are some issues here though:

• The 3 door Saracen Turret takes an M1919 Browning
  • The 2 door Saracen Turret in a Mk 2 or Mk 3 takes an M1919 Browning, but the cradle may be different.
  • The 2 door Saracen Turret in a Mk 5 or Mk 6 takes an L37 GPMG and the cradle may be swapped into a Mk 2 or 3.
  • The 2 door Ferret Turret on early marks takes an M1919 Browning and is, as far as I know, nearly identical to that of a Mk 2 or Mk 3 Saracen.
  • The 2 door Ferret Turret on later marks takes an L37 GPMG, but is not the same as the Mk 5 and Mk 6 Saracen turrets (although I believe that most of the differences are external).

Cheers,

Terry