Reporting Live from W&P 2012

Marmite!!

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys

Do not be put off by a bit of mud. I was there in 2007 when it was like this and it was still a good show. I even witnessed a husband v wife mud fight (clothes on of course) where both got pushed in the mud so that not a bit of them was left uncovered - but thats enough about EMLRA members.

So go there and have fun!

As someone said recently - the soldiers that originally drove our vehicles didn't have a choice about the weather!

Edited by LarryH57

Guys

As someone said recently - the soldiers that originally drove our vehicles didn't have a choice about the weather!

Quite right

Mud.jpg

And for those still in two minds. does this help:

Mud2.jpg

Well, thats what my wife said (followed by a "and if you do then dont bother to come back" - or something like that.

I've just spent the best part of an hour banging my head against Brutish Snail's ecommerce "system". I think the intent is to stop people from using the railways and so reduce congestion.

Now I just have to set my alarm for Oh God o'clock and manage to catch the bus to the station.

See you all tomorrow (I hope).

Chris.

(Extra gippwax applied to boots and three sou'westers packed.):-D

Had a great day today, sun shine and who cares about a bit of mud in the roadways, walking around is OK if you pick you route. Had a look round a lot of the stalls and overheard a few traders talking, they all seemed quite happy.

Not sure if the Barmy Army mud wrestling actually happened though, as I got Elvised out and had to leave...still quite noisy but IT'S BELTRING!!

As they used to say "Be there or be square!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spent the best part of 30 minutes earlier on tonight on my hands and knees with a shovel digging myself out of muck and s***e. For the first time since sunday i managed to cross axle the landrover right up to the diffs in the mud and bogged down. Completely my fault.

But with no one around,then what better time to make use of the pioneer tools. Off came the shovel,and away i went. Managed to draw some observers who i could hear laughing and muttering that i would never get out unaided. Not to be defeated i pressed on clearing myself enough room under all the wheels so i could have a go at shunting myself back and forth to free myself. With a little vigour and quite a bit of exerting out the Landrover came to a standing ovation.

On a lighter note. Managed to meet up with a few forum members. Spent the best part of the afternoon in the company of Paul(Griff66) and his brother Celstar. Came across TooTalll Mike and Grasshopper. And later on had a chat with Nick Johns and Chris G. Well everyone keeps saying about the mud of 07. Well i have attended this show for the last 24 years and never seen it this bad. Lets hope the organisers can get something done with some of the main site before the punters start arriving in the morning.

The mud has really dried up today.. either your heart is in supporting the show or not.. your choice or not if you stay or even turn up.. good to hear LB decided to brave it after his previous comments.. I've meet many HMVF members in the last few days & only one of those has said he may & has left, there may be others but so far those I've spoken too are committed to staying so far.... we staying for the duration come what my ..

Without a dubt the W&P staff have worked non stop to make sure the show goes on & do not deserve any of the crap thrown at them..

The real test to see if the show is for you is to turn up & to see for youself..

Arrived yesterday and it was better than I'd expected plus the sun shone much of the day drying up some of the less wet parts. Be under no illusion, some of the paths and tracks are all but impassable particularly deep into Monktons. Bits of Americas are also very boggy. Living history area OK to walk but the roads down to the arena are, again, virtually impassable.

Stalls area more or less OK with just a few bogs but some traders still setting up.

It's currently dry but overcast.

Walking by far th ebest (and only in some places) way to get about but wellies are necessary as some road/tracks under a wet slurry that comes well over the ankles.

I'm still waiting for that shot of someone falling face down in it... but, frankly, if I avoid that fate in the next 5 days it'll be a miracle.

Haven't checked Medway yet but apparently that's where a lot of people are being sited.

Good luck.

Good to hear its getting better down there, I will still swap out the bar grips for the petlas's just in case :)

So after all those down-beat threads, it just seems it was the "wrong type of mud (copyright National Rail)"

Any more photos Lee...kinda missing them.

I'm busy fitting dual wheels to my sack barrow in preparation for my raid on the stalls for all those bargain bits :banana:

And I've got the 'now surplus to requirements Plan B gear for M5Clive's USAAF camping field at The Cornwallis' coming down to allow me to get direct from the car park to the Allied Forces stand.

NOS Trackway.jpg

Mud? What a great opportunity to re-enact the exit from one of the Red Ball Normandy supply depots where GMCs and other unfortunates were being dragged in and out by Cat D8s. They finally made up a decent roadway with the only available hardcore substitute - unissued torch batteries!! (true story from a diary of a Red Ball trucking unit).

The mud has really dried up today.. either your heart is in supporting the show or not.. your choice or not if you stay or even turn up.. good to hear LB decided to brave it after his previous comments.. I've meet many HMVF members in the last few days & only one of those has said he may & has left, there may be others but so far those I've spoken too are committed to staying so far.... we staying for the duration come what my ..

Without a dubt the W&P staff have worked non stop to make sure the show goes on & do not deserve any of the crap thrown at them..

The real test to see if the show is for you is to turn up & to see for youself..

This is the best post on this matter i have read so far, Either you want to go and support the show or you dont BUT think of the alternative .

If the organisers not only of this show but other shows allso said SOD IT we can not be doing with the hassle of organising the show anymore What would we all do ???

I am sure as with this show and many other shows the organising can be 100% perfect but there will always be a margin of dought on the weather.Not one person can control that element.

All the moaning about conditions at the site are in my opinion a bit harsh, as there are people down there working there arses off to put the show on and make the best of the bad weather.

I can not do the show and have never been but that is my choice.

Read the phrase at the bottom of my post.....Paddle your own canoe.....Pardon the Pun there.

boomboom

PS

Please keep the photos coming boys.

Rant over

boomboom

Edited by Joris
Removed double quote

AS lee said, the only way to find out what it's like is to go and see for yourself.

The weather forecast is for dry sunny weather, so hopefully, those that are there will enjoy themselves.

I agree that the w+p staff have been working hard, but when I was there it just seemed that there was no clear plan in place.

I arrived sat morning about 10am, and at that time, there were only 2 people in the booking in tent for mv's, and because of this the queue to get in was huge, mv's were queueing onto the main road, which, IMO was dangerous.

I spent sat/sun/mon covered in mud and just could not face anymore.

I did not take the decision lightly to to come home, but the weather forecast was for more rain and thunder and lightning.

I hope it all goes well for the rest of the week.