Ex-MoD Civilian

Jehu1

Name: Andy

Formerly worked at RAF Gatow, Berlin, and HQ AFCENT, Netherlands.

Retired now, but interested in finding out more about MoD buses.

Hi and welcome

made many a journey on the bedfords (flat fronted type ) we use to use as school buses in Germanyand for general outings :-D

Ashley

In 1957 / 58 during my service with REME in Germany I gave (Part Time) driving instruction and drove a German 52 seater Buzzing Nag coach. To my eternal regret I never took a photograph of the bus. When not giving instruction I would be either taking troops to various locations or I was regularly asked ( yes, even in the army of the 1950s I did not have to volunteer my services) by the officers i I would take their wives on shopping trips to Munster, about 35 / 40 miles away, or the officers and their wives to the horse racing at Lippstadt. Whenever I did those trips I received tips, very welcome when you were on army pay in the 1950s. It was a beautiful bus to drive, it was forward control with a considerable overhang at the rear, you had to be aware of oncoming traffic on narrow roads when making turns, the back-end tended to swing out onto the other carriageway. The bus was of course left hand drive and most things operated by air. Those were the days, full of fun and carefree.

I remember going to school in Munster in them. in the 70's

Hi and welcome

made many a journey on the bedfords (flat fronted type ) we use to use as school buses in Germanyand for general outings :-D

Ashley