Bedford MWR 1943

Higgins kpt.

There seems to be a fold down footstep attached to the inside tailgate. I think I have seen this on another surviving MWR. Wonder if this was a standard MWR fitment or a post war addition. My MWR is also fitted with a standard towhook

21 hours ago, Richard Farrant said:

Hi Richard,

It could even be one of the 'R' series registrations, where the vehicle has been rebuilt and lost its original identity. RG for example, I have seen MW's like this. Often the body fitments were changed to suit new equipment, etc.

Richard

As far as I know the following post war registrations were allocated to Bedford MWR’s

44RC57  to 44RC99

70YS00  to 78YS36

20YT01 to 31YT16

Hence the vehicle in the photo is 20YT??

If you have any information on post war registration of Bedford MW’s I would be most grateful. The Chillwell census give details of the war time registration batches and the contract numbers (only for Army vehicles, I don’t know of an equivalent for RAF/RN vehicles)

Are all the 'R' series registrations post war re-builds ?, war time rebuild have a Z numbers starting in 16

Cheers

Richard

34 minutes ago, 64EK26 said:

Richard

As far as I know the following post war registrations were allocated to Bedford MWR’s

44RC57  to 44RC99

70YS00  to 78YS36

20YT01 to 31YT16

Hence the vehicle in the photo is 20YT??

If you have any information on post war registration of Bedford MW’s I would be most grateful. The Chillwell census give details of the war time registration batches and the contract numbers (only for Army vehicles, I don’t know of an equivalent for RAF/RN vehicles)

Are all the 'R' series registrations post war re-builds ?, war time rebuild have a Z numbers starting in 16

Cheers

Richard

Our forum friend's MWD, chassis number MWR61420 had the post-war reg. number of 36RD34, so your list above of groups of numbers may not be complete.

I did have a print out of a Key Card for MW's, relating to one I restored for a customer some 18 years ago, but cannot find at present, they show about 20 vehicles on each card. That vehicle had a 'R' number, but it previously had a Z number from an allocation for wartime rebuilds. Just shows that a lot of surviving vehicles have gone through rebuilds during there service life and not as original as you might think. So long as a vehicle came off the end of the line and back in to service, no one would have bothered if it had detail changes from its original contract.

Some place to look regarding 'R' numbers;

http://www.mafva.net/resources.htm#Allied   then go to the section Vehicle Registration Numbers - Army - Modern

and a book, British Army Transport & Logistics by Robert Swan and Geoff Fletcher, go to page 123

regards, Richard

Rather depressing but it might weld as those are not very stressed places. The damage must have been caused by ice or I suppose it is just possible that someone was using the two studs that screw into those bosses to pull the head off when it was stuck on its studs.

David

Edited by David Herbert

Hi Tomas

Shame about your cylinder head, as David says you may be able to stitch weld it.  I think that Pere Gaine (in the UK) has a good head for sale, but shipping to you would be a problem.

Cheers

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Dont think you are too far out with your HT leads attached photo is the only one i have of an MWR engine i think it came from some photos pre D-day about water proofing although the parts book has the coil either mounted on the engine as you have it  or mounted on the drivers side foot well depending on engine number .

mwr coil.PNG

• Like 1