• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if it's for carrying live rats, I'm afraid it's failed because they've chewed their way out..

They are little devils aren't they Bernard!

Not a rat box for that very reason:-D

This is teak not just any old wood.

A specimen/sample transport box?

The hole looks to be too small for transporting homing pigeons though :D

Unless, of course they are small pigeons.......... Or its a large box.............. :laugh:

Alec.

A specimen/sample transport box?

The hole looks to be too small for transporting homing pigeons though :D

Unless, of course they are small pigeons.......... Or its a large box.............. :laugh:

Alec.

Alec you could probably get a petite pigeon in there, but that is not its intended purpose.

I have no dimensions, one can only guess by the leather carrying handle.

PS Not a specimen/sample transport box

Would the leather handle be slipped sideways out of the bottom clip, which has an offset rivet, to allow clear access to the perforated zinc for some reason?

opps ignore that! the other rivet is in the cut away portion..

The upper part of the handle is clearly fixed. But I think the lower part is so constructed as to allow the strap end to slide out thus allowing the strap to lie flat. Although I can see no benefit for this to happen, in fact the opposite really as it would rest on the perforated zinc.

Does this box fit into a square hole in a piece of equipment?

Are the single groove in the top and the twin ones underneath (shown as dotted lines) to ensure it goes in the right way up?

Are the three strips inside electrical contacts that contact the raised locating strips in the aforesaid hole?

Does this box fit into a square hole in a piece of equipment?
Not really but it is supported in a docking bay on a mounting bracket.

Are the single groove in the top and the twin ones underneath (shown as dotted lines) to ensure it goes in the right way up?
Yes

Are the three strips inside electrical contacts that contact the raised locating strips in the aforesaid hole?
Yes

Carrying case for a lead / acid cell, maybe, something like that, with brass strips to be contacts and the zinc grille to allow hydrogen to escape when charged ?

Sounds very plausible but nope.

sandwich box :D

It would certainly ensure your sandwiches didn't get squashed & the perforated zinc would help keep them cool whilst excluding the larger flies. But this was not the official purpose.

Is it a field telephone? Pondering the old type of crystal speaker that could be used as a microphone. Move the box to create air space for amplification?

My original idea is blown out of the water - I thought it might be a portable confessional. Pop it on your head before finding the Padre.

Is it a field telephone?
Nope but it is from a book that includes that sort of stuff as well.:D

Pondering the old type of crystal speaker that could be used as a microphone. Move the box to create air space for amplification?
I can see what you're driving at, but nope.

Atmospheric qualities?

It could be used it to measure the capacitance of the free-air in the location it was mounted?

Telegraphy Equipment

It could be filled with a wadding and a saline solution and be a very rudimentary capacitor?

Alec.

Atmospheric qualities?

It could be used it to measure the capacitance of the free-air in the location it was mounted?

Telegraphy Equipment

It could be filled with a wadding and a saline solution and be a very rudimentary capacitor?

Alec.

Interesting line of thought, but it is nothing that is capacitance related.

Is it a Geophone for detecting tunneling or vibration from guns firing?

Tony clearly something does fit in this case but not a vibration detector or anything microphonic.

What it houses is not of a very advanced technology.