Our favourite lumps of concrete.

My job as a salesman, takes me around various bits of Nottingham-,Lincoln- & Cambridgeshires

Quite a few lumps of old concrete can be seen, especially in the flatbits around the Fens, so here's the start of a selection of what I come across.

524356_10150764132828984_1735857967_n.jpg

This one's sat in a field, at the A141/A605 junction, outside of March. Most of the ones I see, are the hexagonal, MG/rifle slots in some of the faces. This one's obviously designed for a much bigger weapon!

It can be seen on Google Earth. 52°35'28.73"N 0° 3'24.58"E

I love them.... whenever I'm out and about I'm always looking over hedges for them...:laugh:....

I'm always amazed at just how fast they were conceived , planned and positioned across the country , constructed and in use.......most of them easily within 12 months..

..an incredible undertaking and now?...

.. folk must often wander past one in a meadow and think "why's that there?" and in probably less than the next 50 years time...with the way history is taught these days.... 95% of people won't have a clue what they were even built for :-(

There was two, not far from that one in the picture that was crushed up by the Farmer 2 years ago

for roadmaking material !!

I rang the Council and tried to get it stopped but was told he could do it. History and Heritage gone....

well to be fair I guess they are a fair size lump to have sat in the middle of your cornfield and I can understand why a farmer would want them out of the way ......but having said that...

.I totally agree with you that they shouldn't be able to demolish them at all...

..I think there is a well good enough historical argument to say that all pillboxs and WW2 fortifications , wherever they are, should be protected under some kind of heritage status......after all no one in their right mind would even think of knocking down a castle ....... and in their own way they're just as important to our history...:)