War & Peace 2012

woa2

I have heard a rumour about the 2012 show and wanted to find out if it is true.

All the Battles are to be in the Arena only and the skirmishes in Monktons and by the Re-enactment areas are banned.

Any truth in this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just got my exhibitor pack today and the enclosed map shows all the big living history Re-enactment camps in the same places as last year. So does this mean it will be the same as previous years with, for instance, Kelly's Heroes battles in Big Monktons?

so could someone tell me if there has been anybody hurt by the battles outside of the arena, or as usual its BSE overkill :-|

Apparently (so I've been told) the council just happened to be walking past during the Kelly's Heroes Battle & were not happy with the amount of public blocking the road & causing an obstruction if an emergency vehicle needed to get past.. so all battles have been moved to the main arena.. only heard of reenactors getting injured during battle, both in & out of the arena..

Why is it too dangerous to have the public stood in a road when there's no vehicle movement, but ok for 10 year olds with no road sense to burn round the site on quads after the show closes and vehicles are roaming the field??

Indeed! I wonder if they paid the same amount of extortionate rates as I did the other year for the privilege!

As the War & Peace area is getting bigger, couldn't they make 2 arenas on the site? Down the bottom of Monktons, for example, so it complies with H&S? How about that new field that has been opened now? It's large enough.

• 4 weeks later...
so could someone tell me if there has been anybody hurt by the battles outside of the arena, or as usual its BSE overkill :-|

A reinactor was badly burned in 2010 when a charge went off in his hand instead of in a mortar pipe , everyone else in the area had ringing ears for an hour afterwards . This happened in the living history area when the reinactors were getting filmed . The cause of the incident was the cameraman saying your wristband is in view , this delayed the dropping of the charge in the pipe .

nasty !

A reinactor was badly burned in 2010 when a charge went off in his hand instead of in a mortar pipe , everyone else in the area had ringing ears for an hour afterwards . This happened in the living history area when the reinactors were getting filmed . The cause of the incident was the cameraman saying your wristband is in view , this delayed the dropping of the charge in the pipe .

nasty !

Where did you hear this?? I know the guy that got burnt & it was nothing like you described..