Burma Spitfires , check your piggy banks

ruxy

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone mentioned the "planes below the ice" story?? A squadron of P38`s lost their bearings and landed on an ice shelf in the antartic (I think, got the book but cant recall off top of head!!)

They rescued the crews and intended to come back to refuel planes and retrieve but due to bad weather couldnt. When finally had the chance the planes were covered in snow so decided to leave them there.

About 10-15 yrs ago onje guy set out a rescue mission, cut long story short he used steam and hot water to free one plane 30m below surface and brought one up. As far as I know rest are still down there!! Get the book, great pics of the planes then and now. The salvaged plane is now being rebuilt!!

Im into my Urban Exploration and you would not believe what lies below our feet, seen a few things in shelters and bunkers.

The 2000 person shelters near me still had military kit in them in the 70`s!!! remember them as a kid when we used to climb in down the air vents, all blocked up now. Had a few gas masks out of there even then!!

Anyone mentioned the "planes below the ice" story?? A squadron of P38`s lost their bearings and landed on an ice shelf in the antartic (I think, got the book but cant recall off top of head!!)

They rescued the crews and intended to come back to refuel planes and retrieve but due to bad weather couldnt. When finally had the chance the planes were covered in snow so decided to leave them there.

About 10-15 yrs ago onje guy set out a rescue mission, cut long story short he used steam and hot water to free one plane 30m below surface and brought one up. As far as I know rest are still down there!! Get the book, great pics of the planes then and now. The salvaged plane is now being rebuilt!!

Im into my Urban Exploration and you would not believe what lies below our feet, seen a few things in shelters and bunkers.

The 2000 person shelters near me still had military kit in them in the 70`s!!! remember them as a kid when we used to climb in down the air vents, all blocked up now. Had a few gas masks out of there even then!!

The P38 (Glacier Girl) is flying for some years now.

Thats the one, Glacier Girl, excellent book if you get your hands on it. I had lost contact with the story but knew some of the braking system was restored over here (Girling/Lockheed units??) My father worked for Girling in Bromborough when it was going!

16 years on the trot taking a long holiday (or more) in Burma , probably with family - then how much loose change will you have from £150,000 ?

Well, if you have the money isn't it better spent in pursuit of a dream, rather than on wine & women :D

Its one heck of a story and we have run the stories of it over on War History Online from the get go. It has created massive interest around the world. We were sent the message below last week from a member of WHO:

My father Captian Robert J. Windauer was a US naval medical officer in the Pacific during WWII. He was stationed on Johnson Island as well as a few other locations. He has passed away but he told me that at the end of the war as they were leaving to head home the CBs were burying crated US fighter planes along a runway. I have no idea where this was but it wasn't Burma where the British are searching for Spitfires. I'm going to check my fathers papers to see where he may have been right before he was shipped home. He said they discarded almost everything to have room for all the marines and essential supplies nessesary to return home. I'd be happy to talk with you about it.

So may be this was common? May be there is some truth to warbirds being buried?

Edited by Jack
Stupid flipping typo!

Better places to dig on this thread.

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=36444&page=11

#318, a hole in Holland, full of the Luftwaffe!

Somewhere, amongst the hundreds of posts, are a couple of pictures of an airfield in Indonesia, covered in redundant B24s etc!

WOW! Great heads up thanks for sharing and have tracked down the page http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=36444&page=16

"Duitse dump" means "German dump"; it's not the name of a place.

If only treasure hunting was that easy :D

Yep, BUT...

For a 1000 $ in cash I'll tell you all I know about it.

(What I know about it is nothing, now pay up!)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend ....(yes just the one but that's all you need in life ..:yawn:!!!)... He works within a large military library / research centre .... Let's say he's not convinced about spitfires in crates, and went through a huge list of reasons why he thinks this is a Wilde goose chase ..unfortunately I can say no more or he'd have to kill me .....and I'm having none of that...;).

I'm 100% sure there's stuff buried there, but whether that stuff is aeroplanes or something with any value remains to be seen. Stuff was buried after the war all over the place ( and the practice still goes on today with military kit ), as well as lots more stuff dumped in the sea, so it does happen, but whether the Burma/Myanmar story has any truth to it has yet to be proven one way or the other.