Mystery Object No.11

fv1609

Foot warmer? :-D :-D :-D

Bunion remover :-D :-D :-D

A New Reebok trainer? :-D :-D :-D

Medieval indian shifte house :-D :-D :-D

I'm baffled

Funnily enough this apparatus is described as an Indian Pattern & described in a 1940 Indian Army manual, if that helps.

Toilet??

Yup well done. It dates from 1940 you can see how standing on the pedals opens the shutters, then automatically closes when you get off what is optimistically called "the seat". The user appears to be standing, which raises issues of accurate aiming.

For accuracy of aim & for procedure no.2, I assume that a crouching position would have been best but that would mean the shutter opening is not best positioned. Furthermore this would be difficult as the user seems to be wearing pyjamas. :whistle:

Unless someone with experience of this formidable apparatus can enlighten me as to the details of use?

Stand1.jpg

Stand3.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo links repaired

Its a toilet (military spec) for asian people

Yes wasn't actually going to say that but it is. British troops used facilities with wooden seats & lids, but there were religious, cultural & caste objections to the traditional seat. Even so some castes would not use apparatus such as the Dhondy, it is not stated what happened in those circumstances & perhaps best we don't know. Here is another version of a self-closer.

Latrine01.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo links repaired