British War Heroes' Graves Desecrated In Libya

Idiots over here kick over headstones for the 'fun' off it. I suspect that if we had a more enlightened form of punishment removal of benefits or the Singaporean method of chastisement we would not have these problems. When I was at school many years ago the woodwork teacher had a wonderful method of encouraging pupils to pay attention..... he threw the blackboard duster at them.

Edited by ferrettkitt

Idiots over here kick over headstones for the 'fun' off it. I suspect that if we had a more enlightened form of punishment removal of benefits or the Singaporean method of chastisement we would not have these problems. When I was at school many years ago the woodwork teacher had a wonderful method of encouraging pupils to pay attention..... he threw the chalk board duster at them.

In my day it was a black board, because it was black.

It was on the Aussie news also as it is a commonwealth grave yard

I feel quite strongly about these graves as they are scattered all over the place and are abused, moved, untended or destroyed.

The policy of conveniently burying our soldiers in the nearest graveyard instead of bringing home is a penny pinching practice and they should of been and still should be repatriated. Up until mid Vietnam war Australia continued the practice and policy was fallen were to be buried in the closest commonwealt grave yard, in that case Malaysia. When the first conscripted soldier was killed in that war there was an outcry and after that they get brought home.

Oddly enough was reading an article the other day about the Malaysian historical group that found a British aircraft from ww2 in the jungle, the UK government wanted nothing to do with it. Yet the locals knew if found by others it would be cut up for scrap regardless of remains

It was on the Aussie news also as it is a commonwealth grave yard

I feel quite strongly about these graves as they are scattered all over the place and are abused, moved, untended or destroyed.

The policy of conveniently burying our soldiers in the nearest graveyard instead of bringing home is a penny pinching practice and they should of been and still should be repatriated. Up until mid Vietnam war Australia continued the practice and policy was fallen were to be buried in the closest commonwealt grave yard, in that case Malaysia. When the first conscripted soldier was killed in that war there was an outcry and after that they get brought home.

Oddly enough was reading an article the other day about the Malaysian historical group that found a British aircraft from ww2 in the jungle, the UK government wanted nothing to do with it. Yet the locals knew if found by others it would be cut up for scrap regardless of remains

Its still policy of HM government to leave aircrew with the aircraft, it isn't right and it shouldn't happen.

As for headstones not being cared for I can think of one headstone in a cemetery in North Manchester that isn't cared for. From memory when I happened to wander through the cemetery it looked like the headstone had been just hacked out of the undergrowth. I suspect that the innocent reason is that the family have died or moved away late 1940's early 1950's headstone.

Don't forget the Government funds the upkeep of War Graves.

http://www.cwgc.org/about-us/our-organisation/how-we-are-funded.aspx

The Commission seeks to provide value for money and respect the environment in which the cemeteries and memorials are located. In 2010/11, the Commission received over £55 million in funding, provided by the partner governments of the Commonwealth nations who share the cost of the Commission's work proportionately to the number of their graves.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD] Governments [/TD]

[TD]Percentage Contribution[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]United Kingdom[/TD]

[TD]78.43[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Canada[/TD]

[TD]10.07[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Australia[/TD]

[TD]6.05[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]New Zealand[/TD]

[TD]2.14[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]South Africa[/TD]

[TD]2.11[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]India[/TD]

[TD]1.20[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

http://www.cwgc.org/news-events/latest-cemetery-information.aspx

Benghazi War Cemetery to be fully restored

28 February 2012

It's now reported from Benghazi that two Commonwealth War Graves cemeteries have been damaged in attacks over the weekend - both the Benghazi War Cemetery and now the Benghazi British Military Cemetery. We are awaiting a detailed report but in both cemeteries, headstones were broken and disfigured. Both cemeteries will be restored to a standard befitting the sacrifice of those commemorated at Benghazi, but this could take some time because we will need to source replacement stones. We will also need to be sure that it's safe for the detailed work to be carried out, but in the meantime we will ensure that temporary markers are erected over the graves. We have no reports of any maintenance staff being injured in the attack.

There are 1214 Commonwealth servicemen of the Second World war buried or commemorated in the Benghazi War Cemetery. 163 of the burials are unidentified. Special memorials commemorate two casualties buried in Barce War Cemetery, whose graves could not be located. There are also 25 non-Commonwealth burials at Benghazi, one being an unidentified Greek soldier.

The Benghazi British Military Cemetery has 284 burials, eleven of them unidentified. The graves are of servicemen and women who died in the region in the years following the Second War.

All of these recent actions are indicitive of the lowering of standards, lack of basic discipline and respect, and simply illustrate the need to put our house in order.

I do mean the human race, not just the U.K.