Google Maps Vehicle Security Issue

Marmite!!

Due to a complaint & the security implications pointed out by a member regarding posts where collections/vehicles have been pinpointed on Google Maps & similar or where detailed directions to vehicles are posted, we will now remove without notice any posts where private collections/vehicles are marked on any such maps or directions to the collection/vehicles are posted. This includes any aerial photography of peoples property.

Just one example, your MV could be next!! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1369913/Thieves-use-Google-Earth-steal-copper-cabling-costing-railway-companies-1million.html

Edited by Marmite!!
typo

I think that's a very sensible move.

Spotting things on the move, at a museum or just stopped off in a public car park is fair game but not locations of where people have stored their vehicles, even though to a casual eye they may look to have been abandoned.

A very sensible policy.

Just checked mine on street view. Empty driveway and not even an iol patch, so well over 2 years old.

Oh the cameras were mounted on the roofs of cars about 10 feet off the ground

Mike

Yes , have to agree with the concensus , a good move admin well done . As for Streetview etc - I ought to have a look at mine again just to check but the last time , like many others here , it was around three years out of date as it showed my old range Rover on the drive which was scrapped about four years ago .

Just had a look at my house, I have a 6 foot high fence but you can still clearly see my Crusader and Reo. The camera must have been over 7 foot high when filming !

The Google Streetview cameras are mounted on a structure that sits on top of a normal car, often a a Vauxhall Astra in the UK, so they end up being about 10ft above ground level, with several cameras simultaneously filming different angles (this image grabbed from Wikipedia):

Google_Street_View_Car_in_Southampton.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Dont forget there are other views available, not just google. For example if you use Bing then the birdseye and streetside images are very different to the google images and can be very revealing!

That's why we said..

have been pinpointed on Google Maps & similar