centurion stab problems

Adrian169045

Hi All

since i have had my cent i have only been using the traverse in emergency mode . now i know what i am doing and have some books telling me how to fire up the stab i thought i would give it a go. it worked for a little time and and the all of a sudden the gun fell on to the rubber stops on the hull . now the only thing i can do is traverse the turret is in emergency .

everything seams to fire up like the metadine. gyros. alternator . so the question is does anyone have an electrical schematic for the unit under the breach that controls all this equipment ?

no one in AUS so far has been able to help and i don know what i am looking at without an schematic . here are some pics of the unit. any info regarding would be gratefully appreciated

cheers

Adrian

Picture 042 (3).jpg

Picture 051 (4).jpg

Picture 052 (4).jpg

Picture 053 (4).jpg

Picture 054 (4).jpg

Picture 055 (4).jpg

Picture 056 (4).jpg

Picture 059 (4).jpg

Picture 057 (4).jpg

Picture 058 (4).jpg

I would recommend getting this book.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Centurion-Tank-Technical-Handbook-1950-/140711206646?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item20c30a9ef6

It tells you everything you need to know. I have a copy and will gladly can the diagrams you need but it is a book worth having. No connection with seller!

No worries, us tankie Adrians have to stick together!

However, it seems that Cent 1,2 & 3 were not fitted with stabilisation as no mention is made of it in the technical handbook or the parts list.

All my other literature is handbooks and parts lists for later vehicles and as you say, they only show the units with no wiring diagrams.... sorry!

• 6 months later...
I would recommend getting this book.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Centurion-Tank-Technical-Handbook-1950-/140711206646?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item20c30a9ef6

It tells you everything you need to know. I have a copy and will gladly can the diagrams you need but it is a book worth having. No connection with seller!

Hi,

Just out of curiosity what's the name of this book? Is it still available in any format?

Cheers

Thanks,

We've got echelons 1 through to 4 in the workshop. They're a copy and in a lever arch file. I could really do with a PDF so that it'd be easily searchable and on a laptop which I could take into the tank.

One very common cause of sudden faliure in thermionic valve equipment is the valve heater circuit. In a lot of stuff it was a series circuit.

Agreed - a good starting point would be to switch it on for a while, then switch off and check to see if any valves are still cold.

Andy