Towing a B25

Joris

Great photo...:cheesy:

....at one of my jobs many years ago I worked at a big old outfit that dealt in all manner of secondhand materials and machinery . They'd been established since the 1930s and through the late 40s and 50s had made a handsome living out of a lot of ex military kit ... lorries , excavators , generators and such... they had 2 very similar ex aircraft tugs as 'yard tractors' along with some other really interesting stuff...These little tugs were used to shift stuff on a selection of ex-RAF bomb trailers/trollies that had been modified for their purposes...

..One of the drivers of these tugs was an ex army fella and I used to watch him with awe as he could back up the ex RAF draw bar trailers with more ease than most folk could back up a wheelbarrow. At that stage I'd already done a year or so on a farm and was very well versed in how hard a draw bar trailer is to reverse having once got into a right proper mess with a huge hay trailer 'stuck' in an awkward corner of the farm with the drawbar all tangled up under the back wheels of my tractor.:D..

Unfortunately many years later the Grandson of the old man was now running the show and he had a big clear up in the early 90s and the 2 tugs were cut for scrap along with all their trailers and also 2 massive Jones yard cranes that had come from an admiralty dockyard somewhere .........

• 1 year later...