Reply problem

Enigma

HMVF crashes/locks up sometimes when I've written a longer reply.

The computer say HMVF doesn't respond when I try to submit the reply.

I'll have to refresh or something like that losing the text.

So I have to retype it all, which don't do because its ANNOYING and the 1st draft is mostly my best.

EDIT; OK, just found he auto restore function, still annoying when it happens.

HMVF crashes/locks up sometimes when I've written a longer reply.

The computer say HMVF doesn't respond when I try to submit the reply.

I'll have to refresh or something like that losing the text.

So I have to retype it all, which don't do because its ANNOYING and the 1st draft is mostly my best.

EDIT; OK, just found he auto restore function, still annoying when it happens.

Hi Enigma,

That has been happening to me for several weeks, only on the website, not cookies either. I thought it might have been my pc, but obviously not. It does happen on short replies as well, but not every time. Frustrating if you have done a long and detailed reply, so much so that I started to reply on wordpad then pasted in, to reduce the time of compiling the message.

Some replies I have abandoned through frustration.

I would suggest that it is a user problem & not an HMVF problem, check that you haven't got an Ad blocker that is slowing down page loading, see the last few posts here http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?29321-Hmvf-website-taking-ages-to-load-up

As HMVF has a lot more ads now any type of Ad blocker (or maybe your virus protection/firewall) will slow down the page loading times & could cause the page to timeout. It's best to set your browser to accept pop-ups from HMVF. Also if you are using IE the Forum can be very slow.

Don't forget the auto-save function.. if the pagecrashes or times out just refresh the page or go back & hit auto restore button that will appear in the botton left of the editor window..

uto-Save. Sick of losing posts when your browser crashes? Now you won’t have to worry, your content is safe.

autosave.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!

• 4 weeks later...
Done the same to me over the past week or so. Seems to be since the last windows update had updated IE, and changed the layout of toolbars etc.

Simon

Switch to Firefox or Chrome!! nearly all the problems reported with the forum only occur with IE

• 1 month later...

Same issue here. In fact it's just happenned now trying to post this. Auto save did not function.

It looks server-side to me. It's just this website that's affected, and I've got a reasonably clean OS install frow only a few weeks ago. All IE accelerators disabled. The only plugins/helpers loaded are shockwave, mcafee scriptproxy (averaging 0.1s) and and windows media player.

It's driving me nuts.

I know there are a lot of Firefox supporters, but switching browser isn't really a bug fix. Some of us use IE for good reasons.

Heck if I was going that far I could switch back to gopher or telnet in on port 80! (don't ask me to do 443, my brain doesn't work that fast :D )

Before you doubt, I have hand issued protocol commands in the past, using one of the oldest computers connected to the net at the time (I had a text-only PC RT at home and played on IRC without the aid of a client :nut: )

This may or may not help, but I've switched back to the basic editor and I've not had the same problem since, so it looks to be an issue between the WYSIWYG editor and IE.

If you are having the same issue you can probably work around it by doing the same.

Why not download Google Chrome? I got totally fed up with IE and all the associated problems as described above, and it wasn't just on this forum. I use Chrome all the time now.

As said before most of the problems are related to IE, that's why we reccommend other browsers.. but for some reason some members actually like IE ?

As said before most of the problems are related to IE, that's why we reccommend other browsers.. but for some reason some members actually like IE ?

Easy (for me).

My computer has IE and I am as computer expert as I am a brain surgeon.

I can ask my brother to install for google or whatever,I don't know how and don't even know if there is a difference in using a forum with Google, IE or such.

This forum is the only one in which it happens, none of the other ones have problems.

Easy (for me).

My computer has IE and I am as computer expert as I am a brain surgeon.

I can ask my brother to install for google or whatever,I don't know how and don't even know if there is a difference in using a forum with Google, IE or such.

This forum is the only one in which it happens, none of the other ones have problems.

Installation is simple & you can download Firefox here http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

or Google Chrome here https://www.google.com/chrome/?installdataindex=nosearch&hl=en-GB&brand=CHMA&utm_campaign=en-GB&utm_source=en-GB-ha-emea-uk-bk&utm_medium=ha

After installation choose "Make Firefox (or Chrome) my default browser"