Range Wrecks

challenger

Chieftain turret drill trainer (or gunnery simulator)?

Classroom Instructional Model CIM. In the UK it was later incorporated into the Gunnery Training System GTS when the Improved Fire Control System IFCS was put on the vehicle. Last time I saw any in the UK was at Ludgershall in the nineties. About ten of them on the railway sidings. Regiments usually had two of them whilst Lulworth had six but only five were GTS the last one remained a CIM. The GTS was replaced by the Loaders Drill Trainer LDT and the Turret Gunnery Trainer GTS when Challenger 2 came along. This one in Oman has the L30 from Challenger 2 fitted as the delivery of LDT was delayed.

Is there any Chieftain turret drill trainers around ?

Al

I would hazard a guess that are none left. The one in Oman is still there though. I know the tank museum showed little interest in the UK ones when they were being withdrawn. Chopped up for scrap. Shame as they wouldn’t take much to revive. The biggest problem as I remember was the hydraulics that were all at different age and mod states.

Spent a week there with the cadet force a few years ago, I always wanted to have a look around the MV recovery area as (IIRC) I could see the pig, an AEC Militant and something old and MBT shaped... never did mind. Thank for those pics!

To be perfectly honest I've got no idea what happened to it Martyn , I don't think it was left down on the ranges , I think pretty much everything was pulled out and removed in one big REME exercise somewhere around the mid 1980's - unfortunately my slides aren't date stamped so I can't pin it down exactly .

Found the pic, it was in a PDF booklet on a wildlife study of Fingringhoe ranges, Middlewick ranges and Friday woods in 2008

Booklet: http://www.scribd.com/doc/63186549/Fingringhoe-and-Middlewick-Ranges-Colchester

It is on the last page, unfortunately it is the only picture without a caption.

looking very rough now

dukwfingringhoe.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Kirkcudbright again and a bit of a mystery. At first glance you would say a target manufactured to look like a tank. This has hatches and the steel is about an inch thick, all a bit over engineered for a target. The wheels, I believe, are from a Comet or similar. What do you think? The range have no nidea what it is or why it was constructed. It has been on the range for some time.

IMG_7449a.jpg

DP000299a.jpg

IMG_7438a.jpg

These two are Omani vehicles. They had some from the British Army and some that were delivered from the factory. This modification was to reduce the chance of small arms fire and bits of shrapnel bouncing up into the Gunner's sight. As far as I aware the Royal Army of Oman were the only ones to do this.

IMG_3446ba.jpg

Cheiftain001a.jpg

• 8 months later...