Range Wrecks

challenger

That Sherman is confusing me:undecided:....

.....wide tracks and horizontal suspension denotes a fairly late model Sherman doesn't it???....

but it's got (what looks like to me anyways) the 75mm 'stubby' earlier gun???

or am I completely and hopelessly wrong !? hahah?....

she does look pretty smashed up too .....what a shame......

see what you mean about the corrosion ..it does look really bad...even stripping some useable bits off her would prove a challenge I reckon ...you'd want more than a bit of penetrating oil I reckon ! :D

It's an M4(105)HVSS or Sherman IBY in British parlance. It's the mate to the one that used to sit outside The Tank Museum. It has the 105mm howitzer.

Late M4A3s were built as 75mm on big hatch hulls and HVSS so it's not as simple as 75mm = early.

you knows yer Shermans fer sure Adrian.:D

........incidentally ..the one you mention that used to be outside Bovington?.....I first visited there around 79 /80 ish I guess and I recall one outside that looked that one...it was alongside an 8 wheel armoured car of some sorts?.lovely bit of kit.what happened to that one then ?do they still have it?

also.ps: in the photo of the inside of the turret....there's a small square hatch? was that to lob the spent shell cases out of ?..or for something more technical?...

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

It's still at Bovington, in store.

The hatch is the pistol port, that's the official name but it's unlikely it was used for that purpose much. It does give another view on the world for the loader and somewhere to throw out the empty cartridges.

It was deleted from production in early 1943 but reintroduced later due to complaints from users. All Sherman models built from mid 1943 to early 1944 did not have it, Grizzlies being a prime example.

Comet number two. As has been said on here before the tanks on Kirkcudbright have a good side and appalling side. This is not completely beyond hope though, if you are looking for suspension bits and odds and ends from inside. The reg number seems to be ... ... ZR 22 I have a higher definition picture if anyone is interested.

DSCN1200a.jpg

DSCN1202a.jpg

DSCN1206a.jpg

DSCN1208a.jpg

DSCN1214a.jpg

DSCN1216a.jpg

DSCN1207a.jpg

Old Chieftain. The Tank Museum have acquired what is to be believed to be P6 and reckon it is the oldest in existence. I alerted them to the fact that it had been removed from the gate at Chertsey and was residing at Bordon awaiting disposal. By the time they had moved it had gone for scrap, luckily they negotiated with the dealer and retrieved it. Not sure it is the oldest mind as P5 is on the range at Kirkcudbright along with an old un-armoured one. 00 DA 05 Not sure how old that one is.

Below is P5 at Kirkcudbright when placed and now

[/font]

Photo0015a.jpg

Photo0016.jpg

Photo0017.jpg

Photo0018.jpg

Photo0019.jpg

Photo0020.jpg

Photo0021.jpg

Photo0022.jpg

Photo0023a.jpg

Chieftain002.jpg

IMG_7460a.jpg

Old Chieftain. The Tank Museum have acquired what is to be believed to be P6 and reckon it is the oldest in existence. I alerted them to the fact that it had been removed from the gate at Chertsey and was residing at Bordon awaiting disposal. By the time they had moved it had gone for scrap, luckily they negotiated with the dealer and retrieved it. Not sure it is the oldest mind as P5 is on the range at Kirkcudbright along with an old un-armoured one. 00 DA 05 Not sure how old that one is.

Another one saved, well done!! Keep the pics coming, they are brilliant and very sad at the same time...

Some more taken at Haltern near Munster. All pictures are fairly old but I'm told most of the wrecks are still there. These ones include Conqueror, Centurion, AMX 13, M47 and Centurion ARV. I was told before I went there that the tank that is upside down was in fact a German WW2 vehicle. I was very excited but alas no.

HM4701.jpg

Haltern001.jpg

Haltern002.jpg

HAMX1301.jpg

HAMX1302.jpg

HCenturion01.jpg

HCenturion02.jpg