27.5kVA Generator Trailer

Rangie

Does anyone have any specs for the trailer used to transport the meadows generator? Usually used in conjunction with radar units from the 50s to the 80s.

I'm considering one for my generator to complete the pairing, but if it is too much of a behemoth, I won't bother!! :-|

Length, width, weight, FV number and braking system type etc would all be useful info if possible :cool2:

Alec.

Cannot remember the FV number but it was the 50/60s standard 2 ton built by various trailer makers adapted for all sorts of different uses. Two axle drawbar type with Ackerman steering and 2 line air brakes, on 9.0x20 sand tyres. Not legal behind a Landy as no brakes (unless you have a landy with air brake outlets).

Did once see one converted to carry a Bren Carrier towed behind a Jimmy with the air lines just cable tied under the rear of the Jimmy to look like they were coupled up ! It was out in Normandy and the owner was from the UK.

Cannot remember the FV number but it was the 50/60s standard 2 ton built by various trailer makers adapted for all sorts of different uses. Two axle drawbar type with Ackerman steering and 2 line air brakes, on 9.0x20 sand tyres. Not legal behind a Landy as no brakes (unless you have a landy with air brake outlets).

Did once see one converted to carry a Bren Carrier towed behind a Jimmy with the air lines just cable tied under the rear of the Jimmy to look like they were coupled up ! It was out in Normandy and the owner was from the UK.

John,

The trailer was FV2502, and made by Sentinel. Tyre size was 9.00-16. I do recollect that trailer with the bren carrier, when I saw it, it was being towed by a CMP LAA tractor if I recall, at an event in Bruges. Not much lock on the steering and it was quite common to change a bent draught eye.

I found some specs for the trailer:

Overall Length - 21' 4"

Overall Width - 7'

Frame Length - 16' 3"

Turning Circle - 54'

I could accommodate this beast but it would eat up half a container!! As it is, the meadows occupies a third!

Has anyone seen these for sale/lying around? I imagine there would have nominally been one for every generator, I have seen 3 generators and no trailer! :-D

One note regarding the emergency brakes: As I read it, I take it there is an air reservoir on the trailer so that in the event of a line failure, a shuttle shall apply the brakes to the trailer to stop it. In other words, if the air system is depressurised, no brakes are applied and the trailer is free to roll?

Alec.

• 1 year later...

Hmmm - looking at the photos raises an interesting ( to me) question: In the mid Seventies I spent a couple of weeks with the RCT(VR) trundling around Germany in a Mk 1 Militant GS with a honking great genny in a trailer on the back. The genny was getting on for the size - lengthwise - of a brockhouse and was said to be big enough to run a small town- more usually a full field hospital) My rather defective memory thinks it was the 27.5 kVa model - but it was a lot bigger than one in the eBay photo! Would any one care to have a stab at guessing what it would have been. Tow-wagon had to be a Milly as it was considered too big/heavy for an RL.

• 1 month later...
One has just sold on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131091709228?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2661

It went for £700. looks like it had been listed several times at double this ...

It could have been complimentary to my Eager beaver, Alas it was not to be ... ( too many projects anyway!)

Dave

Its back on Ebay again, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141204584801?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I quite fancy it, but it could be problematic if it doesn't work.No doubt someone could fix it.

Edited by snort

Taken from the 1956 Chertsey Book.

Trl 2 ton 4w001.jpg

Worked on them when in N.I. Always getting called out to start them as they were not used on a regular basis but only for backup purposes so consequently the air tanks would drain and also the fuel would need to be primed again, we would then hand crank them to start it, thank goodness for the decompression lever.