Sling for GPMG?

MHillyard

I have dug out what i believe to be a GPMG sling. Looking online GPMG slings all seem to have a padded bit in the middle, this does not have that which makes me question if it is or not. Is this for a GPMG or something else?

I also am considering selling it if anyone is interested

Thanks Martyn

DSC04751.jpg

DSC04752.jpg

I think it's the arctic sling for the L1A1. I've got one somewhere along with the rubber muzzle cover and securing lanyard. Later versions were in a crappy nylon webbing.

Fittings always seem to be rusty on these too, mine is the same!

Cheers

Paul

TYPICAL H&K Hook ends. Probably for one of thier Rifle or SMG series.

The N.A.T.O Stock number is also wrong for a UK item.

The artic sling would not have steel fittings. They would rust all too quickly in a cold/snowy enviroment.

I have only ever seen (& Owned it) one artic sling & that was for the SLR L1A1 British Service Rifle.

They were nylon with Blackened Brass fittings.

I think it's the arctic sling for the L1A1. I've got one somewhere along with the rubber muzzle cover and securing lanyard. Later versions were in a crappy nylon webbing.

Fittings always seem to be rusty on these too, mine is the same!

Cheers

Paul

I believe you are correct. I'm still trying to find all the pieces for the Arctic Kit for my SLR, and the sling I have is exactly like the one you posted.

According to the original MOD SLR manual, there are two types of Arctic Kit for the rifle...one is for the Army, and one is for the Royal Marines.

I would be interested in seeing a thread on SLR Arctic Kit for you guys that have them. I'm missing a few key pieces, and would love to see some good close up pics.

Why did I not look in my users handbook No. 12258?

Drawings do indeed show the sling with those type of hooks. Shows both types, army and Marines. Yours looks like the Marines one. Both types require special eyelets and mounts to fit to the rifle, look quite complicated. Also required lanyards and muzzle covers. I have a parts book somewhere, not sure if it included the artic slings though.

Army sling states made up of two, L2A1 and a L3A1.

Marines, L4A1

Hope of some help. Book quite thick and wont open up to scan.

Definitely an RM issue Arctic sling. I have the issue chit for mine which show the following NSN

CN-1005-99-962-5382 Sling, Arctic, SLR

I also have (no NSN shown)

Donnington,

Muzzle Cover, Arctic, SLR, Lanyard, Muzzle Cover , SLR

Cheers

Paul

ps too long to be a standard rifle sling and definitely way too long for an SMG