My copy of a RAF Fordson armoured car

b2414

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all This is a update for any one that is interested in my armoured car as you can see the body work is coming on just waiting for the weather to get a bit wormer and I can paint it . I have now book.t it into the Yorkshire warweekend for the 22 June hope to see you there Bill

van1 025.jpg

van1 023.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Help wanted

Hi I am wanting some info on how to change the body type inmy log book it is classed as a tipper now. I was in contact with the DVLAbefore I started this and they told me to just change the body type but what toI don’t now but what can I put down for it now? As you can see it is no longera tipper any help will be most welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a update I have just had a new insert fitted in a GMC wheel so that it will fit on my LDV running gear . it was made by M J Lee Engineering Ltd, of Doncaster . just sent the log book of to the DVLA so here’s hoping it will be on the road soon . new a car 001.JPG

new a car 004.JPG

NOW THEN, WHEELS, FAR BETTER!!!

It's really coming on nicely!! :D

One thing though, are you going to go round the chassis and nick off all the oddball mounts and LDV related stuff? If it's odds n sods that are going to be exposed/seen, it would really give the chassis a clean look :-)

Keep up the good work, great stuff......

Alec.

Looks loads better with the 'man sized' wheels, rather than the originals. I'm guessing that this will throw your speedo out, so are you doing anything to re-calibrate it?

Hi thanks for the comments I will be fitting a old style Smiths electronic speedo as the LDV one is a square plastic one and will not fit in the dash . cheers Bill

NOW THEN, WHEELS, FAR BETTER!!!

It's really coming on nicely!! :D

One thing though, are you going to go round the chassis and nick off all the oddball mounts and LDV related stuff? If it's odds n sods that are going to be exposed/seen, it would really give the chassis a clean look :-)

Keep up the good work, great stuff......

Alec.

Hi thanks for the comments I will be cleaning the chassis up at a later date as the DVLA may want to see that it was a LDV chassis and you know what they are like . Cheers Bill :-)

• 2 months later...

Hi just a update on the armoured car I lost some time on the build as you know I sent in my log book to change the body type on it but I thought at one time that I may not get my log book as there was some query about the vehicles wait but after 9 weeks I am getting my log book back with a new body type on it so now I can finish it and then take it for its MOT .

Here are some up dated photos. Cheers Bill

ac 122.JPG

ac 117.JPG

ac 119.JPG

Oh yes the photo of the MOT guy's face would be priceless.

Well done on such a project. There is often more work involved in replicas than in the real thing and at the end of the day who cares whether it's a replica or not. If you are happy with it then it's all good.

I'd be really interested to know the history of these vehicles. Can you point me in the right direction?

Hi hear is a link to the RAF Regiment site that as a lot of info on the cars and a pdf booklit on number 1 armoured car squadrons history http://www.rafregiment.net/also hears a film of the cars

. Cheers Bill

Hi In 1940 the Rolls Royce 1914 and 1920 bodies had a Field modification with the turret onto 158” Ford truck chassis, This work reportedly was done in Egypt in October 1940. The armament was a Vickers .303 machine gun inturret. Later, a box-shaped mount was added to the side of the turret in a number of cars for a Boys ATR and a Lewis machine gun on a scarff ring on top of the turret. Some were fitted with a large armoured box called the “coffin” behind the turret in location of the former truck bed which enlarged the fighting compartment and allowed the installation of a wireless set Type 19(?) Cheers Bill

hear is a photo of one

912c442cdd4ff43f_large.jpg

bill r'r.jpg

• 4 months later...