PW Bundeswehr vehicles & service history

snowtracdave

Does anyone know if it is possible to trace the history of PW Bundeswehr vehicles ? I have a 1974 Unimog 406 aircraft tractor . I know some of it's life since coming over here & passing through Frank Atkinsons & I have a bit of Mercedes paperwork relating to it but obviously they couldn't offer much info . I'd love to find out a bit more if at all possible . Presumably it would have been operated by the luftwaffe ?

Does anyone know if it is possible to trace the history of PW Bundeswehr vehicles ? I have a 1974 Unimog 406 aircraft tractor . I know some of it's life since coming over here & passing through Frank Atkinsons & I have a bit of Mercedes paperwork relating to it but obviously they couldn't offer much info . I'd love to find out a bit more if at all possible . Presumably it would have been operated by the luftwaffe ?

I can Help you what do you need ????

DCLI - sorry to jump on the bandwagon, but I would like to find out more about my VW Iltis. I know it came from Castle Martin and was sold for scrap when the Germans quit in 1996 and am sure it belonged to 280 Panzer Brigade there. Any advice you can give would be gratefully received. Although I don't have original registration plates - I do know the reg number and can find others if I hunt. I did not get any military paperwork when I bought the old brute.

ta in advance

• 2 years later...

Good morning Snowtracedave,

the U 406 aircraft traktor was in service at the German Air Force (Luftwaffe) and the German Army Aviation (Heeresflieger). I have some picture showing a newer MB Unimog pulling a CH53 Helicopter.

CH%2053%20-%20Bild%20002.jpg

CH%2053%20-%20Bild%20003.jpg

here ist a U 406:

U406%20-%20Bild%2001.jpg

U406%20-%20Bild%2002.jpg

Other tasks of U406 were EAG (ErdArbeitsGerät):

U406%20EAG%20-%20Bild%2002.jpg

U406%20EAG%20-%20Bild%2005.jpg

U406%20EAG%20-%20Bild%2013.jpg

was like the US SEE (Small Emplacement Excavator)

U%20406%20SEE-%20Bild%2004.jpg

On my website http://www.scale87.de you can see some more pictures from the U 406 in Service of Bundeswehr and US Army.

Unfortunately, I have no specific information or photos of the one U406 you wanted.

Maybe you'll find here some info:

Good luck and best regards Tom

scale87-logo.jpg

Edited by TomB

Thank you Tom. Some very interesting pictures you have there - good to see them . As for my Mog - I've not progressed very much further although we hope to get on with it later this year & of course , I now have a second on to play with , although with changing plans I think the newer , single cab one will have to go sometime fairly soon .

Dave

• 2 months later...
Maybe you'll find here some info:

Good luck and best regards Tom

Some great photos there, Tom. I particularly like the one of the Mog with a bale on either end :)

I notice on the MogForum that theres a MogMeet in June. Anyone planning a visit?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

First: the Mog!

Unimog tractors in the SWB version were used as aircraft tractors which included the following:

U34A (Steel cab) with metal plates fore and aft, in service from 1960-70

U900/406 (double steel cab) for towing aircraft up to 30t in serbvice from 1972

U1200/427 from 1994, used by the Luftwaffe and Heeresflieger

Magirus Doka:

known as the "Limolaster" (lemonade truck) , this vehicle was relatively unpopular with the troops. 35 DOKAs were aquired in 1988 as Iveco-Magirus 110-17 for driver training. They had a 5m long truckbed and a lengthened wheelbase (4.6m)

Source: a very good book (in German) "Die Rad- Und Kettenfahrzeuge der Bundeswehr 1956 bis Heute" by Karl Anweiler and Rainer Blank (ISBN3-8289-5369-7),

highly recommended!