Triumph 3sw/3hw/5sw Sidestand - Photo needed

jenkinov

My Triumph 3sw came with a home made replica side stand ..sometimes referred to as a field stand ,,It looks ok but is light alloy and i have traced an original side stand ..

However I am not sure if its complete and need a few photos which show the joint from the rod to the frame ,,,

The one I have traced has the following dimensions

Total length: 53.5 cm

Length hinge to baseplate: 44 cm

Diameter connection: 9/16" inch

Help appreciated

Jenkinov

Ron ..Nice to see a pair of bikes that look in such great condition ,,any chance of full pictures of the bikes ..

I note on the 3sw you have a rear carrier ..is it an original ?

Also i note both bikes have pumps ....is there a particular make or model i should be looking for ?

More Qs to follow

Jenkinov

Ron both bikes look absolutely stunning ..thanks for sharing the photos ..

I have just succesfully negotiated to get a sidestand for my bike and this weekend hope to fit my new 3.25 x 19 Ensign tyres which I have recently bought and look to be perfect for the 1940s military look ..

A rear rack has just moved up my wants list ....but i know originals are scarce ..

Can I ask again about the hand pumps ....should i be looking for a particular brand model style

Jenkinov

I would have to do a bit more research regarding the makes of pumps fitted originally.

A couple of jumblers got together and had a large batch of nicely made repro pumps made, in about eight different sizes. I managed to furnish any of my bikes without pumps, with these repros. Unfortunately they are all sold now with no intention to repeat the order.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about a make as long as you can find the right length. Ron

My Triumph 3sw came with a home made replica side stand ..sometimes referred to as a field stand ,,It looks ok but is light alloy and i have traced an original side stand ..

However I am not sure if its complete and need a few photos which show the joint from the rod to the frame ,,,

The one I have traced has the following dimensions

Total length: 53.5 cm

Length hinge to baseplate: 44 cm

Diameter connection: 9/16" inch

Help appreciated

Jenkinov

Rather interestingly, The military Ariel W/NG is fitted with a side (field) stand remarkably similar to the 3SW and 3HW....in fact, the W/NG parts lists actually have the part number including "SW" in the designation........I wonder if they were the same as the Triumph component...?

If so, you could also try Draganfly motorcycles in Suffolk, a meca for Ariel parts......

Thanks for thye advice ..I will have to compare my sidestand with a Ariels W/NG at the next big show

The Yorkshire Crank up is coming up shortly but I am not aware of any Ariel owners so will probably need to wait for Wings and Wheels .

I have now purchased a sidestand ..Just waiting for it to arrive.

Regards

Jenkinov

I often thought the WING and Triumph field stands are the same. Ron

I think the securing clips are different, Ron......although the very early (1940-41) W/NGs appear to use the Triumph clips (square profile, as opposed to the later tapered Ariel variety).......:-D

• 2 months later...

i have a 3hw 1943 and i havent got a field stand or bracket on frame,i noted that 3sw had bolt on lug and 3hw is welded,my frame is a 3hw frame but it has got no bracket fitted but there are holes for the bolt on bracket?can anybody let me know any info as to why

thanks

206795d2b7hn05b3j6.jpg

i have just bought the triumph 3hw in the photos,im interested to know how original it is.the frame number is tl36984 & engine number 3hw 55534.the fieldstand lug is not fitted and it looks like it is bolted on,and after reading rons info on the fieldstand lug being bolted on the 3sw and the 3hw being welded,i am a bit concerned its a bitsa, and also do the forks look right for a 3hw?any info would be appreciated

thanks

84z6n34840c168c80m.jpg

d1344a1775529i86p1.jpg