DPM PLCE Question

Rasputin

I believe DPM PLCE came out in 1995 to replace the OG version of PLCE, both where only ever designed to take the SA80 mags. The mag pouch can carry 6 mags in two compartments of three.

Yep, and I'm doing my homework.:-D

The ammo pouches on the 58 look a little too deep to use with the SLR. How did squaddies get around this issue?

Worked just fine with a field scarf or noddy hat wraped around the mags. When using bren mags (7.62mm type) on the SLR it worked much better.:nut:

Never an issue really. SLR mags fit fine in the 58 pouch, especially if the pouches where worn in. I seem to remember using a bit of chopped up Sleeping mat in the bottom at one point. Ahh them was the days :-D

In my experience the problem with 58 pat ammo bags was that if you didn’t pack the FN/R1 mags exceptionally well they would still rattle when you ran. It sounded like cookies scran-wagon going at speed overland. In the end my old unit opted for Bren Mags on our FN’s and R1’s, meaning 10 more rounds for stay alive, and gave our Brenners the 20 round mags to play with.

You are right, those were the days. :D

Weren.t the springs on the Bren mags weaker than the SLR mags? We were taught that we could use SLR mags on the L4, but NEVER vice versa, as they were designed as a gravity feed, and thus not as strong as SLR mag springs.

As for the pouch issue , never noticed any problems. As a technician, I was supposed to carry an SMG, and there was a stowage issue with their magazines! As it was, whilst in NI, I preferred to trust my life to an SLR.

Weren.t the springs on the Bren mags weaker than the SLR mags? We were taught that we could use SLR mags on the L4, but NEVER vice versa, as they were designed as a gravity feed, and thus not as strong as SLR mag springs.

As for the pouch issue , never noticed any problems. As a technician, I was supposed to carry an SMG, and there was a stowage issue with their magazines! As it was, whilst in NI, I preferred to trust my life to an SLR.

Yes, there was a problem with the feed spring but a good stretching of it fixed that problem, but over time they weakened and broke. However, our armourer cured the problem permanently by making stronger ones locally. We also had some Brit SLR’s, wooden furniture, and they worked just fine on the Bren mags. You were certainly justified in trusting your life to the SLR.