I've been spending again! My '43 GPW

Jessie The Jeep

Here's the engine serial number. I think I've already mentioned that the block casting number suggests pre-war, so I'm guessing that the serial number implies a 1939 date for the engine, followed by the engine number.

0093.jpg

Then it was on to the starter motor. Strip down, clean, inspect, and paint.

0094.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

The butterfly valve in the intake manifold heat exchanger was missing, and the pivot was siezed solid, with just the remains of the butterfly left. This would prevent the pivot from being withdrawn. The pivot was sawn through and hammered out. The balance lever and spring were all fine, and were cleaned up.

0101.jpg

0102.jpg

The gunge was scooped out of the steering gearbox today. All the internals looked good, but for a while, I couldn't get the steering column out, trapping some grease behind the worm that I couldn't wash out. I decided to try and melt it out, and left a hair dryer blowing at the casing warming it until the grease flowed out. As it turned out, the heat expanded the case enough to free the bearings, and the shaft came out, allowing proper cleaning. After wire brushing the exterior, several parts were primed.

0105.jpg

0106.jpg

0107.jpg

Out came the spray equipment as my top coat paint order arrived this morning. A number of engine components were painted grey. While there will be some chipping of the paint during engine assembly, it is much more easy to paint all the parts separately, and touch them up later. Here's the sump. The paint is from Frank Burbery, and sprays very nicely.

0111.jpg

The bell housing looking new again.

0112.jpg

Several of the other sprayed parts included the water pump, fan pulley, valve cover, intake manifold and engine mount plate. Other items painted but not shown were the timing gear cover, thermostat housing and starter mounting plate.

0113.jpg

if you like i can take a peek under our jeep tomorrow and get a few pics of the sump guard, aparently it is a common thing to go but why i cant remember, but we have what we think is an original

Edited by MHillyard

Yesterday was a long day, but a worth while one. I came back home with this, and several other goodies. The tub is an ACM Type II body, from a Ford Jeep. Based on the tub number, it was made around March 1944. While it isn't the exact body style my '43 chassis started out with, I'd rather put a repaired original later body on the Jeep than a correct style repro tub. To me, using the later wartime tub, keeps the vehicle more original than a repro would do.

0114.jpg

Along with the tub came this 'f' marked hood.

0115.jpg

Also not in the original sale, was a fuel tank which just needs some minor repairs. All the smaller parts were stored in my trailer.

0120.jpg

The back of the tub has large diameter tubes welded into it. I was told that they were part of stretcher supports, but my gut feeling is that they are more likely to be the remains of a roll cage.

0121.jpg

Today, the tub was lifted from the trailer, and carried through to the back garden until it is needed.

0122.jpg