I've been spending again! My '43 GPW

Jessie The Jeep

I got my own chance of a ride later in the afternoon. It was quite an experience with the noise level rising dramatically over the cobbled street compared to the tarmac or dirt roads. I could imagine a load of troops in the back, heading to the front lines, with perhaps a false sense of protection provided by the thin armour; but the realisation of how difficult it would be to escape quickly if attacked.

beamish_4_34.jpg

beamish_4_35.jpg

All too soon, it was heading towards the end of the day and the job of dismantling the camp began. We got home in daylight, but were still putting the last things away in the dark. It had been great to be back at Beamish, but the four days was over all too soon.

beamish_4_36.jpg

Additional Day 4 pictures can be found here....

https://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2021/beamish_4.htm

At present, there are no more events in my diary for 2021. Some of the usuals at this time of the year, haven't returned having had the previous year cancelled due to covid. I'm hoping they aren't gone for good.

• 1 year later...

September 20th 2022 - Rough Engine Pickup Investigation

I spent part of today looking over the Ford GPW, which hasn't been out since Beamish last year. It wasn't running well at the event, but we'd trailered it there, so getting home wasn't a concern. Since then, life has been so busy, I haven't had time to look at it, other than turning the engine over every so often to keep oil splashed around the engine and exercising the brakes and clutch.

Like "Jessie" yesterday, I took the fender off and the valve cover and checked all the valve springs were ok. I also checked that the valves were moving and checked the gaps. All the valves but number eight were ok and even that was within tolerances, but the gap was opened up a fraction more to match the rest.

2022_gpw_check1.jpg

The PCV gasket on the valve cover plate was torn, so I made a replacement. I also gapped and fitted four new spark plugs.

2022_gpw_check2.jpg

The fuel in the fuel pump had turned green. While it was E5 petrol which is allegedly 5% or lower ethanol content ( not E10 ), this eco fuel is useless. I don't know how old the fuel was at the time of Beamish last year, but it was well gone now. 

2022_gpw_check3.jpg

I had disconnected the fuel feed from the pump to the carburettor to get the valve cover off. While it was disconnected, I hooked up a pipe and a container of fresh fuel directly to the carburettor and tried starting the engine. It started straight away, idled smoothly and picked up cleanly when I opened up the throttle. This is where it had shown signs of burbling and slow pickup before.

I had already disconnected the fuel feed on the bottom of the tank, but with only a couple of gallons in there, it was below the level of the fuel pickup pipe. I did two or three tests on fresh fuel, which also helped to pump out the fuel filter on the firewall and fuel pump of contaminated fuel. Draining some fuel from the tank showed that was also badly contaminated.

2022_gpw_check4.jpg

• Like 2

As a result of investigating the fuel system, I drained the remaining two gallons from the fuel tank.

2022_gpw_check5.jpg

While I was working on the valve cover plate, I noticed the centre was sooty on the outside, suggesting the exhaust flange gasket was failing, so I pulled that apart and ordered a replacement. I've left the Jeep in bits until that arrives and will then put it all back together again and add some fresh fuel before further engine tests.

2022_gpw_check6.jpg

• Like 1

September 27th Reassembly and Testing

I think I'm back up to three green vehicles on the road again, following the work done today. The new exhaust gasket was fitted and then I started reconnecting the fuel system.

2022_gpw_check7.jpg

A test prime with the pump showed fuel weeping from the end of the pump union. One of the brass unions on the fuel pump had slight damage through to the threads on the inside. I ordered two replacements, but soldered the hole so I could carry on testing today. After getting the pipe work back together, I added five gallons of fresh E5 fuel. I gave the engine a test run which appeared ok for a short time, then I started getting fuel pouring out of the carburetor cover plate.

2022_gpw_check8.jpg

I pulled the carb to bits, checking various gaskets and screws for potential leak sources. It went together and came apart a few times, with test runs between and the leak continued. The fact that it only happened after a little while running suggested the float chamber was filling up and then overflowing out of the metering needle hole in the top. I stripped it all again and adjusted the float, which simply involved bending a tab on the brass float, so it wouldn't fill the float chamber as much.

2022_gpw_check9.jpg

Each time the carb came off and apart, the fuel line had to be disturbed at the carb and pump unions; leading to additional small leaks when reconnected. Probably a good job I'm going to replace them.

2022_gpw_check10.jpg

Anyway, I think I got there in the end, as after the float adjustment, the engine fired straight away. It idled ok, picked up smoothly from idle both slowly and with a quick rev, without the burbling and hesitation it had previously shown at the Beamish 2021 show. Now I just need to take it out for a test drive.

Engine test run video below. One run while the fender was still removed in case I needed to strip things down again. The second run was after the fender was bolted back in place, the light wiring reconnected and the horn refitted.

• Like 2

September 30th - Ford GPW Test Drive

The last small job this morning, was fitting two new brass fuel pipe unions to the fuel pump and carburetor. Despite very light rain starting, I took the GPW out for a local test drive. "Jessie" had to be brought out of the garage first, to get "Hope" out from the middle of the garage.

gpw_test_01.jpg

The whole drive was only two and a half miles around the village lanes, stopping at a couple of places to check for fuel leaks at the new unions and to take a few pictures.

gpw_test_04.jpg

• Like 1

I called in to the local church yard before heading home, as it has a nice view over the fields.

gpw_test_05.jpg

From there, I returned through the village and back home, getting "Hope" and "Jessie" back in the garage before the heavy rain came. I still need a longer test drive while Lynne is around, in case I need recovery, but initial signs are all is well again.

gpw_test_06.jpg

• Like 1

Vehicle Wash and Photoshoot - October 1st

With the recent maintenance on both Jeeps requiring one fender to be removed, there was a certain amount of paint chipping happened around the bolt heads. I wanted to touch up those areas with fresh paint. At some point, I also want to carry on the painting of the Dodge, such as under the fenders and rear wheel arches. Before I did any painting, I wanted the areas cleaned of the dust and dirt that has built up over the season. The Ford also hadn't been out of the garage for over a year and was rather dusty. Jessie needed to be brought out of the garage first, in order to clear the doorway for Hope, parked in the middle.

wash_01.jpg

Both Jeeps were jetwashed, starting with Jessie. With both of them clean, the Dodge was backed out of the garage and turned around. This was the first time all three vehicles had been outdoors together since Faith was repainted into olive drab. It was an opportunity not to miss, so the three vehicles were lined up for some group photographs before the Dodge got wet.

wash_03.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ford GPW Test Drive and Two Jeep Fuel Stop - October 16th

I took the Ford GPW out for another test drive today, following the work on the carb and tank drain. Jessie came along for moral support! We took them both to fill the tanks for the winter. It had been sunny all day, but clouded over shortly after getting both Jeeps out of the garage.

fuel_01.jpg

The trip almost didn't happen, as I'm recovering from Covid. This was my first ever bout of covid, was more mild than many winter colds I've had, but it has left me very tired. It took until mid afternoon to raise the energy to go out. As a result, the original longer planned drive was cut short to a fuel stop and return via our usual photo-stop lane. 

fuel_02.jpg

I'd also adjusted the handbrake and clutch cables before going out, so wanted to make sure the gear change was fine and handbrake band wasn't binding. Overall, the Ford ran well, though the engine cut out at idle a couple of times. I think the idle screw needs a slight adjustment and I discovered the fuel tank sender isn't sending. I'd suspected this on the last trip out when the needle didn't move from empty, despite 5 gallons of fresh fuel being added.

fuel_03.jpg

fuel_06.jpg

I checked the gauge with a jumper cable and that is working. One possibility is an earth problem. However, I want to check the brass sender float I made eight years ago. I noticed when draining the tank, that the mesh filter on the tank filler tube had come loose in places and I think the solder has been attacked by the small amounts of ethanol in the fuel. If so, it may have also attacked the solder on the brass float. I'll have to pull the sender out to check further.

fuel_09.jpg

fuel_12.jpg

I'm sorry you have caught Covid. My experience and that of others I know has been that feeling very tired gradually subsides over 2 - 3 weeks..

With modern petrol I'm surprised you leave more than a minimal amount in over the winter. Then come spring top up so the proportion of old petrol is low.

3 minutes ago, david1212 said:

I'm sorry you have caught Covid....

I've done well to avoid it for two and three quarter years!

I use Stabil in the fuel to help it last, but always use the vehicles over the winter. I just try to minimise air gaps in the top of the tank to reduce moisture content.

Edited by Jessie The Jeep
  • Like 1

October 22nd - Fuel Tank Sender Repair

Back in 2015, the original cork sender float was fuel soaked and wouldn't float. I replaced it with one I made from thin brass sheet. It has done fairly well, but on my last trip out for fuel, the gauge was reading empty, despite a full tank. A quick test with a jumper cable showed the gauge was working, so I suspected either a bad earth or a sunk float. I had a feeling that the ethanol in the fuel may have attacked the brass or solder ( despite using E5 ). The jumper wire was used to create a separate earth for the sender, but the gauge still didn't move. Pulling the sender out showed my initial gut feeling was correct and I heard fuel sloshing around inside the float.

Back in the workshop, I found a small split in the rolled brass body of the float. After draining the float, the split was soldered and then a thin brass patch was soldered over the top of the repair. I lowered the float into the tank filler neck and felt that it wanted to float and saw no bubbles coming from it. It was then refitted and the power turned on to check the gauge. It works, but I need to bend the sender arm as it isn't reading accurately ( it didn't before! ). I'll wait to see if it stays floating first, before making any adjustments.

2022_sender.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

GPW Winter Photoshoot - December 24th

Probably our last trip out of the year, my daughter and I took the 1943 Ford GPW out for an 18 mile run this morning. The GPW had been off the road from September 2021 to September 2022, due to a rough running engine. It turned out that most of the problem was due to water contaminated E5 Ethanol petrol. After the tank was drained and everything flushed through, I got the Jeep running again at the end of September. I made two short test drives and everything seemed ok, but wanted a longer run to check it out properly. That was done today.

gpw_winter_02.jpg

The trip took us along several roads we'd used on the first outing of the year in the Dodge. A rather cold finger day ( I don't like driving with gloves ), but nice and bright, with the low sun often in our eyes.

gpw_winter_06.jpg

Another picture at the foot of Cassop hill before heading more towards home.

gpw_winter_16.jpg

We stopped off again near an old Nissen hut, which was probably moved and converted into a garage. I can't find any record of a military site at this location.

gpw_winter_19.jpg

gpw_winter_20.jpg

From there we headed home for lunch. That puts about 28 miles on the Jeep over three trips, since the fuel tank was flushed out and it was returned to the road. All seemed well, although the brakes are pulling to the right ever so slightly. Something to adjust when the weather warms up.

Edited by Jessie The Jeep
  • Like 1

I'm not aware of any WW2  WD site at Cassop.    The nearest such to the city centre would be the two rows of pre-fabricated sectional concrete buildings (barracks originaly for the RAF) demolished for new building just after Y2K, These were on the University Science Site , hill incline  just west of the Engineering Building.

Ethanol attack on soldered brass fuel tank float  ?     Not what I would expect - been watching expected Ethanol problems .  Garage trade mechanics recently telling me it's all a myth  ?      Considering the best quality Classic tanks were made from Terne steel (inc. Rolls Royce)  - if this coating of tin/lead alloy is affected (I had anticipated) then I think it would be regular news  ?    Ethanol attack to the many grades of brass - I would doubt that , still interesting comment.

4 minutes ago, Jessie The Jeep said:

That hut wasn't at Cassop, it was closer to Sherburn.

Sherburn included , I know the area / history - mining / railways / WW2  -   the first hous I purchased  1975 , not too far away with a distant view of the cathedral .  That view would still be possible , just loads of new houses in what were fields.