I've been spending again! My '43 GPW

Jessie The Jeep

• 1 month later...

GPW Test Drive - April 10th

I suspected the GPW has had a weaping cylinder head gasket, especially after finding a little water when I changed the oil just before moving to the new house, so looked into it today. I started by cleaning and gapping the plugs and points as they needed doing anyway. The engine started ok, so I pulled it out of the garage. The radiator level was down again following the house move drive. This has been a common problem for a while, often blowing out of the overflow.

gpw_test_drive01.jpg

It took a litre to fill it up again. This time the start sounded more lumpy. I suspected the topped up coolant was leaking into the cylinder head now the water level was higher. After running a short while, it smoothed out, so I went for a short drive around the local lanes and snapped a few pictures in the bright sun.

gpw_test_drive03.jpg

gpw_test_drive06.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

The GPW ran ok during the 5 mile drive.

gpw_test_drive11.jpg

gpw_test_drive12.jpg

gpw_test_drive14.jpg

When we got back, the coolant was down a little with more fresh spray over the front axle where the overflow pipe points at. I'm guessing the running engine leaking passed the gasket was pressurising the coolant system, forcing it out of the overflow. So after parking up in the garage again, I drained the radiator and while it was empty, fitted a new drain cock, as the wings on the old one were damaged. I've ordered a new head gasket, so hopefully it will arrive soon and I can get it fitted in the next week or so.

Half an hour after getting home, the sky was thick with snow flakes the size of marbles. Half an hour after that, back to blue sky and sun. Don't you just love the English weather!!

• Like 2

April 14/15th - Head Gasket and Pedal Spring Replacement

The first thing I did was drain the oil and coolant. I wanted to check the oil for coolant. With the radiator empty, I fitted a new drain cock as the wings on the old one were damaged. I've had the replacement drain cock for a while, but just waiting for an opportunity to swap it. Next job was to remove the oil filter and the radiator hose, then I could unbolt the cylinder head and take off the oil filter bracket and air filter pipe.

2021_head_gasket01.jpg

With the head off, I found coolant between cylinders three and four.

2021_head_gasket03.jpg

The new gasket was fitted on the 15th and everything put back together. Liquids were refilled and everything seemed ok for a start. Since all the oil and water had been drained, I turned the Jeep over on the starter with the ignition off, for several seconds to pump some oil around first.

It was run to temperature, cooled and re-torqued, then run again, cooled and re-torqued. I had a bit of a dash up and down the drive to put it under a bit more load and then left it to cool down again for another re-torque. I planned a proper test drive on Friday when Lynne was around so I'd have recovery assistance.

When buying the gasket, I'd also ordered two pedal springs. While tinkering, I also fitted those. The old ones didn't have much spring left in them, giving a very limp clutch pedal.

2021_head_gasket11.jpg

Jeep Anniversary Drive - April 16th

On 16th April 2005, we drove to Scotland to collect "Jessie". On the same date in 2014, the insurance began for "Hope" allowing a first drive of the GPW. Now in 2021, it's sixteen years since we bought "Jessie" and seven years since "Hope" returned to the road. We decided an anniversary drive was in order for both Jeeps to celebrate their time with us. It also provided the opportunity to give "Hope" a test drive with the new cylinder head gasket. We waited until early evening as the sun was getting lower in the sky. The temperature was dropping, but it would give us better photo opportunities.

anniversary_drive_01.jpg

Like my other recent trips out, we didn't stray too far from home and found country lanes to drive and lay-bys for photos. At the first few stops, I popped the hood open on the GPW, checked for leaks and checked the radiator level.

anniversary_drive_05.jpg

All was good, so we kept going. I took the lead as I'm now a little more familiar with the local lanes than Lynne is.

anniversary_drive_04.jpg

Initially, the daylight was still bright and the sky blue, but as the minutes passed, the light started to become a more golden yellow as the sun headed for the horizon. The drive continued, passing the house once and heading through a couple of local villages from several different directions. We got a few waves and toots on car horns as we toured around, but generally, the roads were quiet.

anniversary_drive_14.jpg

We'd already passed some nice looking trees down one lane and decided to head back there to wait for the sun to drop lower in the sky. That location would give the best backdrop for the sunset.

anniversary_drive_18.jpg

anniversary_drive_22.jpg

This time, we approached the trees from the opposite direction, allowing the Jeeps to be photographed from the front with the sunset behind. The sun was quite low in the sky, but not right down to the horizon.

anniversary_drive_25.jpg

anniversary_drive_26.jpg

anniversary_drive_34.jpg

It was going to be another half an hour before the sun reached the horizon, but as the temperature was dropping even further and my daughter was turning blue, we decided to head home. Once home and putting the Jeeps away, the sun was setting and was bright crimson. 

anniversary_drive_32.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

GPW Date of Delivery Anniversary - May 6th

May 6th was the 78th anniversary for the date of delivery of my Ford GPW. It also happened to be the 21st anniversary of my wife and I getting married. A few weeks ago, we booked a table at the hotel where we had our wedding reception. However, the weather for the evening wasn't looking great. The day had started with bright sun, then by late afternoon, we had hailstones the size of peas. I checked the Jeep over in the garage, but wasn't getting it out in hail! By around 5pm, the hail had passed and the sun was back out. Out came the Jeep and off we went.

gpw_anniversary4.jpg

gpw_anniversary6.jpg

We recreated one of our wedding pictures with the Jeep, 21 years on in near enough the same spot. Obviously my phone couldn't compare to the wedding photographer's camera and my daughter wasn't quite as tall as the professional, but considering the weather we'd had earlier in the day, we were just pleased we managed to get out at all. Due to covid restrictions, all meals were served outside, so we were lucky the weather lasted for us. Two minutes after getting home and putting the Jeep away, the heavy rain came. The timing of the evening worked out perfectly.

gpw_anniversary9.jpg
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Ushaw Historic House "Way Back When" D-Day Event - June 6th

After 20 months without a public event due to covid, D-Day 2021 saw an olive drab invasion force descend on Ushaw Historic House in County Durham, North East England. They were holding a one day "Way Back When" 1940's event to mark the 77th anniversary of D-Day. It was the first chance in a long time to catch up with old ( and some now very old ) friends!! Ushaw House wasn't too far from home, so we took both Jeeps to the event.

ushaw_02.jpg

The view through the screen here shows only a small part of the historic house, seen from one end. I never got around the front to see the full expanse of the house and gardens.

ushaw_03.jpg

As a result from the long enforced break from shows, unsurprisingly, the show was well attended, with just a few familiar faces missing. There were also a few new vehicles which had been purchased after the end of the 2019 season, but have had few opportunities to go on show. The good weather of the half term school holiday continued through the weekend and gave us excellent weather for the event too. There were twenty five vehicles on display, plus several dioramas.

ushaw_25.jpg

ushaw_11.jpg

ushaw_17.jpg

It was a little strange at first, being out and mixing again, although people were still being a bit cautious. In addition to the re-enactors and vehicle owners, there were also a good number of public through the gates which was nice to see. Around mid day, there was a firing demonstration from several of the re-enactors and live music from singers performing across the day. My daughter had a great time meeting up with her friends, who also brought a home made kart which provided a great deal of entertainment across the day. We were lucky to find anything for her to wear, as she's outgrown all her 1940's dresses.

ushaw_10.jpg

ushaw_07.jpg

ushaw_20.jpg

The event was due to end at 4pm and around 3:30pm, the re-enactor displays began to be packed away. As we approached 4pm, the vehicles began to drift away in ones, twos and a couple of small convoys. Lynne and I were among the last vehicles to head back home, having had a fantastic day, just like old times! Further pictures can be found here - https://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2021/ushaw.htm

ushaw_26.jpg

ushaw_31.jpg

ushaw_36.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Independence Day Drive - July 4th

It was a bright and sunny start to July 4th, but with thunder storms forecast from noon, so we made a quick outing to mark Independence day. It was almost a month since the GPW had been to Ushaw Historic House, while "Jessie" was out last weekend, so "Hope" was brought out for the trip. We stayed close to home and toured the lanes around the local villages.

july4th_01.jpg

july4th_04.jpg

Part way though the trip, we drove along a lane with poppies in the fields, so after a stop by the trees where we did our sunset photoshoot, we turned around and headed back to the poppies as there was a pull in on the left, best accessed coming back down the lane.

july4th_06.jpg

july4th_07.jpg

• Like 1

Rather than head back through the village we'd just come through, we turned around once again to head home, stopping at another poppy field on the way. The thunderstorms did come, but much later in the afternoon than expected, so we got home and back in the garage long before any rain.

july4th_09.jpg

july4th_12.jpg

• Like 1

Aln Valley Railway 1940's Weekend - July 10/11th

The original Aln Valley railway was closed in the late 1960's and the track was removed. Thoughts of re-opening the branch line started in 1995, but due to the A1 road cutting across the old trackbed, a new site was chosen for a station on the South East side of the road. Construction began in 2012 and now is over half way to Alnmouth.

We set up camp on Friday evening, on the far side of platform 2. By the time all the tents were up and belongings unloaded, it was getting late and we couldn't be bothered with the effort of cooking - that and the fact that Lynne forgot to pack her pasta! With McDonalds around a mile away, it made an easy option and an excuse to take the GPW for a drive. A little further up the platform was an air raid shelter and allotment. Lynne wants a small vegetable patch in the new garden, but apparently, I'm not allowed an air raid shelter!

avr_01.jpg

The following morning, I moved the Jeep to the West end of platform 1 for display. I think this was only the second or third year for the show, having had to cancel its 2020 event due to covid. Unfortunately the disruption and distraction due to covid, plus a local steam rally, meant that the event wasn't well supported by military vehicles, with only three WW2 vehicles and two post war attending, plus three classic cars across the weekend. It's a shame, as it has the making of a great event if better supported. There were a number of re-enactors there, plus the Seatones singing a number of shows across each day.

avr_05.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep
  • Like 1

On both Friday and Saturday evenings, I went for a wander around the rail yard, to look at the locos and rolling stock. They have a few locos up and running, but only the 0-6-0 Austerity No.60 saddle tank loco ran during the weekend.

avr_09.jpg

One display, at the opposite end of platform 2 to our tents, was a "Cold War" display. They had a couple of vehicles and a range of weapons from both NATO and Warsaw Pact forces. They went on frequent patrols around the site during the weekend.

avr_08.jpg

The loco shed was set up with an SAS Jeep and a number of home front displays, with the far end having a stage for the "Seatones" to perform from. The Home Guard were also seen on duty at various locations around the station.

avr_21.jpg

On Sunday, in order to get some different photos, I parked the Jeep at the other end of the platform, next to the footbridge. Within 15 minutes, two ignorant and selfish classic car owners parked in front of me, partially blocking me in. They could have quite easily parked along side the Jeep or next to the other classic car, but deliberately parked in front. Obviously they thought their post war classic cars were more important to what was meant to be a 1940's weekend. So I moved the Jeep back to Saturday's spot. Half way between the idiots and my Jeep was a third classic car and a fire tender trailer.

avr_30.jpg

The 0-6-0 Austerity loco No.60, was formerly a Lambton railway locomotive. There's a good chance this 1953 engine ran passed the bottom of our garden during its service life.

avr_27.jpg