I've been spending again! My '43 GPW

Jessie The Jeep

Washington Two Jeeps Tour - May 31st

We took both Jeeps out on May 31st for a local drive and photoshoot. Here's one of the pictures, but a full report can be found on my other Jeep thread by following the link below this picture.

washington_06.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

• 3 weeks later...

6 Year Anniversary

On June 19th 2014, my Ford GPW made its first public outing to St Gregory's RC Primary School 1940's Day. Many of the school children had made the effort to dress the part in 1940's style clothing. The weather was warm and sunny, and there was a great turn out of parents and family. There was a great deal of interest in the stereoscope from the children, fascinated by the 3D image it produced from the two target photos. 

school1.jpg

school5.jpg

school9.jpg

Some tome ago i did find this british 1940 stereoscope, but i can't find anything about it apart from this old RAF picture that seems to be the same? It came from Belgium so it may be left behind by the BEF? Ever seen this?

fer-st-r-oscope-.1-56ba6b9.png

scope.jpg.23b4d2ba7631213a2a14b823b03eb5d1.jpg

Edited by Citroman
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I had a bad feeling yesterday. BBC local news the night before said covid rates in our neighbouring towns of Gateshead and Sunderland, are two and three times the national average now. Both towns border Washington.  The councils were asking government for restrictions. While I don't think Washington rates are that high yet, having seen what's been happening around other high rate towns in the country, it feels like it's only a matter of time before there's a local lockdown here ( it looks like an announcement will be made tonight ).

Since the Ford hasn't moved since the end of May, I decided now would be a really good time to take both Jeeps out for a short blast around. I may not get the chance for a while. Only 6 miles around the edge of Washington and Springwell, it was a nice bit of afternoon fun and fresh air.

( due to the forum upgrade, http links don't work here any more and so there won't be any more pictures posted in this thread, possibly only links to my own website where the story continues. Fortunately Youtube is https, so it appears that videos still work )

Here's a cut down version of the 20 minute ride out.

washspring09.jpg

• Like 2

Following the forum software update and Google Chrome blocking http hosted images, I've moved all my websites to a new secure host. I've changed all the picture links in the thread to the new secure links, so if pictures have been missing/not showing recently, all three of my vehicle threads have now been corrected and should be working properly.

The GPW hasn't been out since September, but depending on how the covid restrictions go, I'll probably go for a few more local drives before the year is out. I'm planning a local memorials tour on November 11th in my other Jeep, weather permitting.

• Like 1

October  28th - System Flush and Coolant Change

Before starting the work, I checked the mileage and discovered I've only done 37.7 miles in the GPW this year due to the lack of events.

For a while I've been wanting to flush out the coolant system on the GPW. With winter not far away, I decided I'd better get it done and fresh coolant/antifreeze added. It's been a poor half term holiday week for weather, but fortunately yesterday was mostly dry. At the same time I was laying a new path along side the drive so we didn't have to get out of the cars onto a muddy lawn. So while the engine was running, flushing crud out of its system, I was laying paving.

2020_coolant1.jpg

Since the existing coolant looked quite dirty, I drained it and flushed the system through with water a couple of times before I put the proper radiator flush through. I needed to use an aluminium tube to direct the draining water into a bowl to stop it pouring all over the axle and spring. The drain plug isn't the easiest of places to access.

2020_coolant2.jpg

The flush was then flushed before adding new Prestone coolant/antifreeze. Unlike the wartime practice, I didn't stencil "Prestone 2020" on the hood!! Today I've discovered muscles and tendons I never knew I had, mostly from the laying of the paving, but there's a few Jeep scars on my hands too. Pleased I finished both jobs yesterday as it's chucking it down with rain again today.

2020_coolant3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Remembrance Day - November 11th

The UK was once again in lockdown for the Remembrance Day commemorations. In Washington it was also pouring with rain. I had hoped to go on a tour of five local memorials on Remembrance Sunday or the 11th, but due to the circumstances, the Jeeps remained in the garage. We watched the BBC coverage on TV and stood on the door step along with others from the street, for the two minute silence. Perhaps in December, when/if the lockdown is eased, I'll tour the memorials as I had planned.

remembrance.jpg

I often drive through Woodland , I suppose I must have noticed the large war memorial in the cemetery, never stopped to have a good look.  It has been in the local press this week that it is quite unique. Next time passing - will have to stop and take a few photographs.  

The unique war memorial of Woodland, County Durham

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Those following my Flying Control Jeep thread will know I've just moved house. The M201 made the trip to the new house yesterday. Today we had another trip over to Washington to start to collect my workshop contents. Lynne towed the trailer home while my daughter came along with me in the GPW. In contrast to yesterday, it was a lovely sunny day and at slow speeds, there was quite a bit of warmth in the sun.

house_gpw1.jpg

house_gpw2.jpg

The workshop contents were back-breaking to carry and we seemed to be lifting boxes out of the trailer for some time without any signs of it becoming more empty!! We made one more trip after that, bringing home some lounge furniture, some camping gear and some of the 1940's kit. I think we're going to have an easier day tomorrow to avoid burn out.

house_gpw3.jpg

house_gpw4.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jessie The Jeep said:

Those following my Flying Control Jeep thread will know I've just moved house. The M201 made the trip to the new house yesterday. Today we had another trip over to Washington to start to collect my workshop contents. Lynne towed the trailer home while my daughter came along with me in the GPW. In contrast to yesterday, it was a lovely sunny day and at slow speeds, there was quite a bit of warmth in the sun.

house_gpw1.jpg

house_gpw2.jpg

Jeesus  -   at 200m + altitude  !    but  wtf   OD box  roadkill ?