I've been spending again! My '43 GPW

Jessie The Jeep

The Vulcan was slightly early to Duxford and gave a shorter display than the day before up North. With the sky heavily overcast, the pictures aren't as nice, but still a good record of what will possibly be the last time I see a Vulcan in the air. The last of the Vulcan pictures shows it fading into the distance, and into memory, while on the ground, the much older B-17 can be seen being prepared to fly.

vulcan_dux25.jpg

vulcan_dux28.jpg

vulcan_dux32.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

Well that's the good news, now for the not so good....

Since the trip to Suffolk, the engine has been weeping oil from the clutch bell housing. It must have been escaping past the rear crankshaft seal, and then running into the housing. Over the last few short trips, the weeping has turned into pouring, leaving a three to four inch diameter pool of oil within a short time of parking. I tried a different grade of oil ( on the first trip to see the Vulcan ), but that made no difference. Weeping I could have lived with, but not with the current loss rate. The engine had to come out and be inspected.

On Wednesday July 1st, I began with a short run to warm the oil which was then drained. The battery was removed next, followed by draining the radiator. With that done, I started disconnecting things, starting with the headlight wiring which allowed removal of the grill. Radiator hoses off, radiator out, throttle link and carb off, fuel supply pipe off, cylinder head temp sensor out, earth strap off. The list went on until I was at a position to lift the engine, then called it a day.

2015_engine_rebuild1.jpg

2015_engine_rebuild2.jpg

On Thursday 2nd, the exhaust was disconnected, then the starter and alternator were removed. This gave better access to the bell housing bolts. Next was the engine mount bolts and bell housing bolts, followed by slinging ropes around the engine for the lift.

2015_engine_rebuild4.jpg

The engine was lifted out with a bit of wiggling, and lowered onto a trolley which could be used to move it to the workshop. Before the move, the inlet manifold, oil filter, fuel pump and coil were removed, as the access was better than in the Jeep. One last step was to tip the engine on its side, resting on some blocks of wood, so I could access the sump bolts. It was a baking hot day, and that was enough hard work in the heat, so it was wheeled into the workshop, and I cleaned up.

2015_engine_rebuild5.jpg

Steve as always fantastic reports.

May I ask a question, you mentioned that you may not see the Vulcan fly again.....is it being grounded.

Sorry Im a bit in the dark but I remember seeing it fly (i think 2009 ) just after a huge amount of work ????

Yes, 2015 is the last year of the Vulcan as the manufacturer technical support is being withdrawn. XH558 is already more than 10% over the flying hours of any other Vulcan, so they are heading into unknown territory regarding stress and fatigue. Now that the manufacturer support is being withdrawn from the end of this season, there's no way they can keep it airworthy. Nobody will rebuild engines for them, no one will provide airframe support.

Yes, 2015 is the last year of the Vulcan as the manufacturer technical support is being withdrawn. XH558 is already more than 10% over the flying hours of any other Vulcan, so they are heading into unknown territory regarding stress and fatigue. Now that the manufacturer support is being withdrawn from the end of this season, there's no way they can keep it airworthy. Nobody will rebuild engines for them, no one will provide airframe support.

That is such a shame.I think thats the one I saw at Goodwood Revival in 2009 ?? I was under the impression a huge amount of public money went into this by way of fundraising.

I could be confused with another aircraft though.....

Same aircraft, same money. It only ever had a limited life, and they've already extended its life by two years with an expensive wing spar modification. It was due to be grounded in 2013. No reprieve this time. It must have cost tens of millions since it flew again in 2007. It first flew in 1960.

July 3rd

I found the source of my oil leak on Friday. First thing off was the oil sump. Then, I love the way the Jeep manual says....

"remove the six nuts and washers from the flywheel, and then tap flywheel free with a brass hammer."

It mentions nothing about the Oxy/Acetylene torch and beating the crap out of it for two hours, but in the end, the flywheel came free from the one tapered stud that it was stuck on. The engine end plate came off after that, allowing better access to the rear crank seal.

2015_engine_rebuild9.jpg

It seems that when my engine was rebuilt, the rubber seal had been stuck in and the end joints sealed with silicone or similar sealant. This had come loose, working its way around to the oil drain hole and blocking it. The rubber seal shows signs of friction burns and had also split. Apparently the rubber seals aren't great anyway, and most parts suppliers suggest the rope seal. So replacements were ordered.

2015_engine_rebuild11.jpg

Here's the top rear crankshaft seal, not looking very healthy.

2015_engine_rebuild12.jpg

While chatting to one supplier, he also suggested removing the oil drain pipe down to the sump from the rear bearing cap. This allows a larger hole for the oil to drain through, reducing pressure on the oil seal. Removing it opened up the drain hole from 9.5 to 12.5mm bore. He said later engines don't have this pipe, and they remove it on all their rebuilds.

2015_engine_rebuild13.jpg

2015_engine_rebuild14.jpg

July 4th

The postman brought the bits and bobs around mid day on Saturday, so I was able to make a start on putting it all back together. The bottom seal was an easy fit, but getting the top one in past the crankshaft was a nightmare. It too could have been an easy job by removing the crankshaft. However, that would have involved removing the pully off the front, the timing chain off, the pistons all disconnected and crankshaft out. In the end, that would have made it a much bigger job.

Once the seals were back in, the sump float was refitted, followed by the sump.

2015_engine_rebuild15.jpg

2015_engine_rebuild16.jpg

The engine backplate was fitted next, followed by the flywheel and then clutch. The clutch disc was aligned with an old gearbox shaft. I then turned the engine upright, and lashed it down to make sure it wouldn't tip over. While the engine was out and easily accessible, I reset all the valve clearances.

2015_engine_rebuild17.jpg

2015_engine_rebuild18.jpg

Again, while the engine was out and bits removed, I modified one of the fuel pump bolts. It is in a really bad position for access, wedged between the fuel pump and oil line. I don't have a socket that will fit the space, and you'd a really odd shaped spanner to avoid the oil pipe and pump. So my fix was to fasten two hacksaw blades together and cut a slot in the top of the bolt, allowing a broad blade screwdriver to be used to tighten it.

Last job of the day was to refit the inlet/exhaust manifold.

2015_engine_rebuild19.jpg

2015_engine_rebuild20.jpg

July 5th

Last day working on the Jeep ( I hope ). Wheeled the Jeep forwards so I could trolley the engine from the workshop to the garage; then pushed the Jeep back to give clearance to hoist the engine around the front of the left fender and blackout light. After a bit of jiggling, I got the engine back in and began the nightmare of bolting up the clutch bell housing.

I don't recall having problems getting it apart, but could have really done with some odd shaped spanners, very bendy arms and magnetic fingers to get the bolts and nuts back in place, especially the top ones right against the firewall! I'd already modified the coil bracketwhich means I don't need to fully remove the nuts to take it on and off. They only need to be slackened a little.

2015_engine_rebuild21.jpg

2015_engine_rebuild22.jpg

... So my fix was to fasten two hacksaw blades together and cut a slot in the top of the bolt, allowing a broad blade screwdriver to be used to tighten it…..

I'd probably be lazy and use a cut-off disc in a 4 1/2" angle grinder, but in the absence of the grinder I doubt I would have thought of your very simple solution!

:thumbsup:

The engine oil had only done 12 miles and was drained into a clean container when I started the job. Today it was strained through a cloth to refill the sump. I left the grill off to start with in case I was going to have to pull the engine out again.

I did a few runs in the garage, checking for oil and water leaks. The oil filter housing lid was leaking a bit, so put some sealer around the rubber seal and that sorted it. Once it was up to a reasonable running temperature, it was idling with 12 to 15 PSI oil pressure and 20 to 30 PSI with a few revs, 40+ with some power. I then refitted the grill.

2015_engine_rebuild25.jpg

2015_engine_rebuild26.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Breighton Airfield Summer Fly/Drive-In & 2nd International Bucker Fest - July 18/19th

With my daughter now at school, we had to wait until the end of the school day before we would be able to set off for Breighton. We decided that a long drive in the truck after school would get us there too late for her tea and then bedtime, so opted to take a Jeep on the flatbed trailer rather than going in the truck this year.

breighton1.jpg

Since 'Hope' had just had the engine rebuilt, I decided it would be a good opportunity to do a little test driving around the airfield and we'd not taken this Jeep to Breighton before.

It was windy when we arrived, which made setting up the tent challenging, but as usual, there was a great sun set and a nice warm light on the Friday evening allowing some nice pictures of the Jeep around the site and next to original wartime buildings.

breighton2.jpg

The wind didn't ease much the following day which reduced the numbers compared to past years, but there were still eleven Bucker aircraft at the event, including one Jungmann flown over from Germany. There were a good turnout of classic cars on Saturday, but ours was the only military vehicle.

breighton3.jpg

breighton14.jpg

The Saturday evening dance was well supported, and there was another nice sun set as a backdrop for the Auster and Broussard. Sunday was more windy and dull, and visiting aircraft numbers dropped again, as did the classic cars with only a few turning up for the second day. While the weather was disappointing, we still had an enjoyable weekend relaxing and watching the aviating.

breighton26.jpg

breighton28.jpg

• 1 month later...

Durham Light Infantry Museum - August 30th

Since we'd only been back from our Suffolk holiday a day, we didn't bother going for the Dodge. Instead, we took both Jeeps to the NE MV Club event at the DLI Museum. Since Jessie's page was recently updated with the Croft report, I'll add the DLI pictures here.

While a little chilly on the drive there, it soon brightened up to give us a warm sunny day, protected from any wind by the hollow of the grounds of the museum. Lynne took Jessie while I drove Hope.

dli1.jpg

dli2.jpg

Post war vehicle numbers appeared to be up this year, while World War 2 vehicle numbers were down, with very few of the heavy vehicles seen in past years, and even the numbers of Jeeps were down. There were however some interesting vehicles in attendance.

dli5.jpg

dli10.jpg

dli13.jpg